Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Aqueon basic gravel vacuum

Does anyone have it, and is it a good product? I am talking about the most basic one, with no starter bulb or anything. Several customer reviews said that it sucks out the gravel. Is this true? Or were they just doing it wrong? And if it is a good product, what size would you reccommend for a standard 5.5 gallon tank?

Thanks!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Not sure about Aqueon but I have a Top Fin one and it works great and sucks up no gravel. I would think about investing in a started ball thingy. Those work pretty good and save you the hassle to try and start up the vacuum.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

The siphon I currently have does not have a starter bulb and I have no problem starting the suction.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Well any way at least what size am I gonna want the rigid tubing to be for a 5 gallon tank?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Does it even matter how big the rigid tube is? I would prefer to have a bigger one so my hands aren't in the aquarium so much...
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #6 
aemaki09

I think that the only difference it makes is how fast the disposal bucket fills up??
I have the cheapest top fin one, I cant see what the aqueon one your talking about looks like, but the top fin works great and is only $10 at petsmart if I remember correctly?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

I have a mini gravel vac from earl may and it's their brand. It was like $6. I use it for my five gallon and don't have problems with it draining too fast, sucking up the gravel or starting the siphon. I've never used a siphon before but I cupped my hand over the end of the tube and sucked in very slightly and didn't get any water in my mouth or on the floor.. lol.
If anything, it drains too slowly, but I can't complain because I have enough time to get to all the gravel. I also use it to put the water back in so pouring it in doesn't disrupt the decor or substrate.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Well would the 5 inch tube or nine inch tube be better?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

The large tube on mine is 6 inches and one inch in diameter, the smaller tube is less than half an inch in diameter..
My 5.5 gallon fish tank is 10 inches tall and the water level goes up to 9 inches. I am able to hold on to the smaller tube when I first start siphoning so my hands don't get in the water. I don't know how much a larger tube would affect suction power.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #10 
JAGalletta

I think I use a 10 or 12 inch tube on my 5.5 gal. I have no problems with water flow. As far as the physics is concerned, a taller rigid tube would mean a larger water column being sucked up the tube and therefore less suction because the gravity of the water in the hose will be fighting the gravity of the water in the tube. However, the speed of the water flow/suction also depends on the difference in height between the tank and whatever you're siphoning into. If your water is flowing too fast with too much suction, raise the container your siphoning into to a height closer to that of the tank and vice versa.

Last edited by JAGalletta; 12-07-2012 at 11:01 AM.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote