Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #11 
Laki

Assassin snails, from my understanding, do not mate unless given the appropriate conditions. Some people never see their assassins mate at all. They're not like pond and ramshorns, laying eggs willy-nilly. lol

Still, my bet is that they are starving. Even when I tried to starve mine into eating ponds (I didn't feed them for about 3 weeks I'd say but they had pond snails galore around them to eat, they chose not to), they still did not resort to cannibalism.
Yes, it is counter evolutionary to eat your own species in most cases. Humans and mammals and birds and such have alterior motives for doing so and are only the exception to the rule; by that I mean, not every individual resorts to the act because it would ruin the species.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mine eat flakes and some snails.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #13 
Juicebox

they came out of a community tank in a petco,i dont think msny of the fish in the tank was for sale,it was full of algea on everything even the snails,i assume they were being fed,i have them in a tank with about 15 mts snails,i have 2 adfs so im putting in frozen bloodworms daily so there is definately foood for the assasins,now i justlooked in the tank and the one snail is still on the other snails back but in another part of the tank,so i think they may all still be alive,although i havent really seen any movement out of them since i got them but i know they do move a little during the night time,ill keep my eye on them, i think i saw one eating a mts last night,then the cannibal assasin came over and got involved and got on the back of the assasin that was eating the mts,no idea how it played out in the end coz i was sleepy and had to go to bed but wen i woke up the snails were on the other side of the tank

pretty weird behaviour goin on here i think,do they usually just like to be close to other assasins or is this some kind of mating or is he slowly eating the othe snail over a period of a few days, time will tell i guess,ill keep updating
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #14 
Laki

It sounds like the assassins might have been starving if they were in a tank with algae.. Shame. Assassin snails are pure carnivores. Make sure you add enough worms for the frogs and the snails, the snails can move pretty quick and generally they hunt together (even if it is to the worms). I keep my assassins in their own tank now and when I add worms you can see them racing from all corners of the tank and the feeding frenzy they go into is quite comical, like a starving pack of dogs. Slurping and gobbling up the bloodworms together lol I can see if yours were eating how it might look like one is eating the other.

I read somewhere that usually in a well fed tank, assassins will leave pest snails alone and they tend to favour fish flakes/pellets/and bug-worm food. So Hopefully yours actually ate the MTS. The first time I saw my assassin get a pond snail it was like watching National Geographic, they hunt them down and roll around poking their siphon thing into the soft flesh of the pest snail and then they liquidise it or make it gooey (much like spiders do) and then they eat that. The shell provides calcium to the assassin fr their own shell. It's rather quite dramatic!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #15 
Juicebox

the assasins even eat the mts sheel also? did not realise that.

is it easier for the mts to eat ramshorn or regular pond snails than it is to eat mts?
if other snails are easier to catch or eat i cam go the lfs and try get a few free feeder snails..

i hope i can see the assasins eat the big mtsin my tank,i have 2 mts in the tank that are bigger than the assasins,id love to see the assasins catch them lol :)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #16 
Laki

xD
No sorry, they don't eat the shell.. I mis-worded that. They obtain their calcium from the guts of the liquidised pest snail.
MTS have substantially harder shells than pond and ramshorn so if they can get underneath to stab the flesh they will eat it. It's good you got 3 assassins because for larger snails they like to gang-attack (like a pride of lions).
If the store will give you free snails, go for it! That's how I started my population. The store was more than happy to give me some pest snails. Remember the snails will breed like crazy so you either want to start a population in another tank or take your chances with the assassins ans drop all the pests in at once and hope they can lay some eggs before getting eaten! lol
Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #17 
Juicebox

i have the 3 assasins in my 5 gallon, i also have a 14 gallon soil tank with about 10 mts in and no assasins,so im hoping to start a nice colony in my 14 gallon so i can take a few out every week and feed them to my 5 gallon :) ill probly end up gettin more assasins though and trying to breed them,they are just cool snails

will assasins eat a mystery snail if i ever got one?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #18 
Laki

Not sure how to breed them. The fellow I bought mine from (ad on kijiji) bought 3 and ended up with a huge colony in his 55g. Good luck! Because assassins can get you a bit of money since they're so expensive in the stores.

I would not chance a mystery/apple/nerite in with assassins. They've been known to try to attack. I think that's what killed my other nerite Gammon. Stupid thing crawled over the divider into the assassin side (when the assassins were in my tank floating in a cup) I don't know what made the assassins crawl out of their cup but two of them were down roaming around and like a week later Gammon died, his insides just poured out of his shell and I had to clean the whole darn tank. SO I think the assassins poked him and he wass too big for them, got away but succumbed later.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mine eat flakes and some snails.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #20 
Juicebox

all 3 still seem to be alive,still the one snail is hanging out all day long on the back of the other snail.weird behavior,i will keep monitoring and see what will happen,i took the couple ghost shrimp out and put them in an other tank just in case i do get any snails eggs and the shrimp try to eat them,been checkin for eggs,cant spot any