betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

IAL will help.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #12 
sunstar93

Try getting a heater (they have a 7.5 watt one at Petsmart for about $11). He may be cold and not wanting to eat because of that. I had that problem with my betta whenever I first got him and it wasn't until after I got the heater that he really perked up.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #13 
dbrooke1

your welcome. all of us are glad to help each other out any way we can. :)
i keep my betta's water temp between 78 to 80 degrees farenheit. 82 is okay.
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #14 
juliat

Another question: can i change his water less frequently if i purchase a filter?
juliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #15 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes you can but you will need to cycle the tank first. There is a thread on that I will find it for you and post it here. Also new Bettas will sometimes not eat for a few days after you get them but keep offering the pellets twice a day and take them out if he doesnt eat them.

Read this for water changes

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

This one is about cycling a tank

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

Last edited by Perseusmom; 12-02-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #16 
juliat

, that's helpful!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #17 
dbrooke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliat View Post
thanks so much dbrooke1, your reply was the most helpful. could you pm me the water change messgage? that would be great. I'll invest in a heater. Thanks! I don't think he has parasites though. Thanks!
changing water:
"when you change his water you can keep him in that small container he came in from the pet store with his old, original water while you are cleaning and rinsing out his bowl, marbles/gravel and decorations with hot water. no soap. :)
new water: if you use room temp water during warm weather, you can have a little bit of prepared water 24 hours before. put water conditioner in it and let it stay. this way new water temperature exactly the same as his old. i do that all the time. or in the winter i have water than i prepare overnight and warmer water that i prepare 25 mins ago. so i am mixing them to reach the exact temperature i need."

if i don't prepare water in advance, i use water from the tap and get it until it's the exact temp as his old water.

acclimating betta to new temp. the cup your betta came in can be filled 75% of his old water before using an appropriately sized small net to very gently bring him from bowl to his holding cup.
later, when you have the needed temp in his new water with water conditioner, you may pour new water from his bowl into his holding cup. let the little fish sit for five minutes, and repeat. you may do this three times total (15mins of acclimating him to new water. temp must be no more than +-1 or 2 degrees from old water when you gently put the guy back in his bowl. hope got everything correct? :)
Old 12-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #18 
juliat

thank youu! and do I really need to do that twice weekly? seems a bit excessive for just a fish...
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #19 
LetsGetKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliat View Post
thank youu! and do I really need to do that twice weekly? seems a bit excessive for just a fish...
Ammonia builds up faster in a smaller tank. Bigger tanks, cycled tanks, or ones with live plants don't need water changes as often.
LetsGetKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #20 
dbrooke1

with a one gallon, twice a week i believe. i don't always prepare water in advance with a busy schedule. i sometimes just use water from the tap and 1.) make sure there's needed temperature and 2.) he's acclimated properly to his new water to get same temp as his old water. :)

i used to have a 1 gal and did two water changes weekly, then i got a 2.5 gal tank and did a 100% water change once weekly, and now 5gal which change every nine days.

filter with properly cycled tank may help. i've never used a filter but heard people say it helps.
persuesmom's links he/she shared too.