Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #21 
dbrooke1

with a one gallon, twice a week i believe. i don't always prepare water in advance with a busy schedule. i sometimes just use water from the tap and 1.) make sure there's needed temperature and 2.) he's acclimated properly to his new water to get same temp as his old water. :)

i used to have a 1 gal and did two water changes weekly when i did, yes. :)
and links persuesmom's shared would help :)
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #22 
juliat

you rock, thanks. any insight on the not eating problem?
juliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #23 
dbrooke1

hoping he'll eat within two or three days. maybe rinse your hand with hot water and stick your finger in his water. sometimes when you move your finger away from him, he'll chase it due to his hunting instinct. if it catches his attention, maybe try dropping a pellet in front of him when his eyes looks at the surface so he sees the pellet go in. i don't know...... :/
when i got fish from petstore, they were always sick when i brought them home. i tried changing their water 100% every day for a week. it'll possibly help with external sickness, but if there's something internal something else would need to be done.
atleast have him in clean, warm water and try feeding him twice daily like someon said. watch him for any behavior or appearance change. although, hopinh he'll eat within a few days.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #24 
juliat

news flash, he just ate two pellets, woohoo! i'll look into a heater, since my room gets really chilly. thanks for all the insight!
juliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #25 
dbrooke1

great, knew he would eat eventually. :) your welcome. hope everything goes well for you and your new fish buddy!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrooke1 View Post
with a one gallon, twice a week i believe. i don't always prepare water in advance with a busy schedule. i sometimes just use water from the tap and 1.) make sure there's needed temperature and 2.) he's acclimated properly to his new water to get same temp as his old water. :)

i used to have a 1 gal and did two water changes weekly when i did, yes. :)
and links persuesmom's shared would help :)
No 50 oercent everyother day and one 100 percent.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #27 
Oldfishlady

I was asked to look at your thread, however, it looks like he has started to eat now...great....

FYI-It is not uncommon for a new Betta to not eat for several days to weeks sometimes. Watch their behavior and often this can help tell you if something else is going in.

You may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one on hand. Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range.

You do need a thermometer to monitor both the tank temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes. You want to try and keep the two temp within 10 degrees-more or less.

With any 100% water changes and with new Betta- it is also important to properly acclimate to both temp and chemistry by adding small amounts of the new dechlorinated tank water to the holding container over 10-15min.

IMO/E-The 1gal unfiltered tanks are fine to keep the Long fin male Betta long term-provided that water quality is maintained.

What I recommend for 1gal-unfiltered tanks-without live plants-Twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-100% to maintain water quality.

IMO/E-Filters are optional for this species-especially in the smaller tanks since the water movement can sometimes be the cause of fin damage and stress.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best.
Most water quality problems are due to poor quality food, over feeding and/or leaving uneaten food in the tank too long.

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote