Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #1 
Mashiro

Just ordered Salamander Dragon from Thailand!

Hi everyone I'm brand new here! Been betta keeping for a while now and I ordered this guy straight from Thailand. I ordered through Aquabid. Love that site!

I don't currently breed because I'm not set up for that yet, but it's one of my dreams.

I do have a question, I'm confused on what I should have in my first aid kit as it's been a while since I've had a delicate Thai betta. Could anyone give me a list of what I should have in my first aid kit?
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #2 
babystarz

He's beautiful! Definitely get some Indian Almond Leaves (grade doesn't matter) to keep in the tank at all times, aquarium salt (to be used in case of infection), a soft hammock to place near the surface, and a good water conditioner (I use both Prime and API Stress Coat for shipped fish). If he bites his fins in transit watch for signs of fin rot while he heals and be sure he has nice clean water. If you have a Petsmart or something near you, you don't necessarily need to keep any antibiotics on hand.

With those fins I personally would opt for live plants instead of fake to avoid any rips. They also tend to be sensitive to heavy filter current and air-driven sponge filters are great for them.

I would also make sure you have a really high quality pellet option and some frozen foods in reserve just in case he's a picky eater.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your new betta is beautiful.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #4 
Mashiro

What are some good options for a small hammock? The conditioner I've been using for my local Exotic petshop betta is BettaSafe. Seems to be working well.

I've also got Atison's Betta Food on hand which I've heard from many that it's just the bee's knees. I'm currently testing it on my petshop betta, "Leafy". So far seems far more voracious over it than the Hikari brand pellet.

For plants, I've got all silk plants with one or two round edge plastic plants in there, I don't think it'll be a problem with ripping.

The filter is a Tetra Whisper that's got an adjustable flow. I've been letting it do the "fishless" cycle thing for about 3 days now. Only 2 Nerite snails inhabit this tank. I was actually thinking of getting some food for them since the tank is so clean.

By the way, it's an Aqueon Mini-Bow 2.5 Gallon tank that he's going into.

Leafy is in the smaller Aqueon Mini-Bow 1 Gallon with one Nerite snail.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #5 
Chuckee

I don't use hammocks for any of my bettas... That's what the plants are for.
Even though my little CT female tore half of hers to bits, so she's got nothing now. Brat
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #6 
babystarz

Is it the Atison's Betta Pro or the Atison's Betta Food? Pro is the one that is top quality. Otherwise, New Life Spectrum has been very popular with my Thai fish. And they will always take frozen bloodworms and bbs.

There are some DIY threads on making hammocks with crafting mesh in the accessories subforum. Otherwise, I know someone was making and selling leaf-shaped ones. And there's one that Petsmart sells but you'll need to remove the metal wire from the leaf and pop it back into the suction cup before use.

Hammocks are really good for sick or lethargic bettas, to prevent them from needing to swim far to get air.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #7 
Mashiro

Just betta food. Not betta pro.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #8 
Mashiro

I just two 5 in 1 test for Leafy's 1 gallon setup. I'm not liking our water....

Nitrite estimated at 15 PPM
Nitrate estimated at 5 PPM
Total Hardness estimated at 75
Total Alkalinity off the charts on both tests at 300 PPM
PH 8.5
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #9 
CathrynL

I just ordered a Betta from Thailand as well! He got here Saturday, and is just an amazing creature! His attitude is fantastic, and he hardly had any fin damage from his trip. He is a Halfmoon Plakat, so his fins are definitely shorter than that Halfmoon ;) Keep us posted on everything, and I hope your water levels level out before he gets there! (Photo taken with iPhone)
Attached Images

CathrynL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #10 
Fabian

WOW,your betta is amazing!!
I can never find nice hms here.They usually have fin rot.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote