Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #1 
sunstar93

What's in a Name?

So in honor of my new little girl I wanted to start a thread about betta names!
Share you betta's names, why you picked it, and feel free to share a picture! (i hope this thread won't fizzle out!)

This is my first betta, Leo (short for Leonardo lol), a blue VT male. The name Leo means, not surprisingly, "lion" lol. And he's a little fighter for sure! My roommate and I agreed to name him that because: my favorite actor is Leo diCaprio and my roommate is an architect major and named him after Leonardo daVinci [fun fact...di Caprio was named after daVinci lol].
Name:  IMG_0050.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  63.4 KB

My second betta, Toby (short for Tobias), a green and red Delta tail male. My best friend picked it out after one of the main characters in the book "Divergent" (which, if you haven't read it yet, it's amazing!). I think it fits him, he's unique. (He has a very short left ventral and actually has a tiny deformed third ventral fin)
Name:  IMG_0092.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  52.6 KB

My third betta (and last, for now, lol). This is my Aria, a yellow VT female, which also means "lion". And she's yellow-goldish, like a lion She's a little firecracker, flaring at herself all the time lol. [Which is leading me to suspect she may actually be a very young VT male]
Name:  IMG_0120.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  55.5 KB
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Fishy is my female. My 6 year old named her (he's under the impression she's his fish :D)
My new male's name is Celestial Soda Pop aka Fizz because in the pictures of him before his arrival, his coloring reminded me of that song - with all his spots and stripes and colors.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #3 
DragonFish

I'm a nerd, a total and complete geek......so I figured it was fitting that I keep with a general theme of naming my fish after characters from my favorite fandoms(anime/manga/cartoons/comics/TV shows/movies...).
I actually started doing this a couple of years ago when I worked at an LPS in the fish section. We got some gorgeous fish in, and of course I had first dibs on the bettas since I often worked on stock day.....and I got 50% off any fish. In an attempt to NOT bring home every singe betta they had, my rule was that unless I could put the name of one of my favorite characters to a fish that I wouldn't bring him home. And this actually worked out surprisingly well....
Noooooooot working for me so well any more though.

BUT, I still stick with the character names because I'm a dork like that, so each of my fish is named after a character from something. I choose their names based partly off their coloration, and largely off their personalities.

Dice and Nine: Two main characters from a favorite Webcomic of mine.
Sebastian and Undertaker: Two characters from the anime/manga Kuro****suji/Black Butler.
Mephisto: Character from the anime/manga Blue Exorcist.
Merlin and Arthur: Named specifically after the characters from the TV series BBCs Merlin.
Steve and Bruce: The Avengers of course.
Legolas: Lord of the Rings obviously.
The Doctor: A BBC TV show called Doctor Who.
Ianto: A Doctor Who spinoff series, Tourchwood.
Tom Lucifer: A name from six different TV series, in order- BBCs Being Human, Supernatural, Doctor Who, BBCs Sherlock, BBCs Merlin, and Once Upon a Time. This guy was actually named by a friend of mine...xD
Sherlock: BBCs TV show Sherlock, specifically.

My newist boy has yet to be named, but I've got a couple of ideas in mind already. Its just about deciding now....xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #4 
Chuckee

*giggles* Fishy...

My fish-naming process is identical to my cat-, dog-, horse-, cow-, bird-, etc-, naming process. And I inherited it from my Daddy
Every animal is called, simply, for what it is. "Dog," "Fish," Cat" etc, sometimes with an identifier (Grey Cat, Little Dog, Pretty Horse, Mama Cow) until it shows sufficient personality or promise to acquire a name.
Thus, I have a Royal/Black/White male who I call My Blue DevilFish, given his desire (and ability) to frighten and murder things
And The Cowardly Dude, who hides in a corner when the other boys flare at him. (And the Cowardly Lady, who I've decided to make his mate)
The others are AsYetUnnamed. I'll let you know if they ever get their titles.

Honestly, when it comes to actual names, someone else in the family usually does it (generally, my momma) because they don't think that Punk, ChewPee or Pooper-Sniffer are adequate names for dogs (Actually, ChewPee stuck, but that's cause Momma didn't realize it wasn't just gibberish), so since the fish are the first animals I've had since moving out (well, I had two kittens, but my mom still named them, as they were meant to be ranch cats, once big enough), they are the first to suffer me.
It's not that I'm not creative, or anything. And it's not like I won't use an animal's name... I think it's just a rancher thing. There's just too many animals to name in our lives.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Dragonfish, I love BBC sci-fi's. I may have to name one of my future fish Captain Jack, or River Song, although Rose Tyler would be good too.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #6 
Hershey

I'm really into Ghost Trick now and Cabanela is my favorite character, and Shiseru is Sissel's name in Japanese.
Daryan was from Apollo justice: Ace attorney
Bae was a random name
Masami was a random name.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #7 
Hershey

Whoops, forgot my girls.
Kamilia is Jowd's daughter in Ghost trick.
Claire is from Professor Layton 3.
Maya is usually in the Phoenix Wright:Ace attorney games.
Ema is from Apollo Justice.
Lynne is one of the main characters in Ghost trick.
Dot and Spot are pretty much random.

I name my fish after my favorite characters from my games I play.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #8 
twolovers101

I seem to have a Russian theme going on for my boys... lol
Shosta was named after we saw Rise of the Guardians, and Russian santa (aka North) has a habit of using Russian composers as expletives? lol, and Shostakovich was one of the composers that he said. He also happens to be one of my favorite composers

Zakut, well, that means sunset in Russian, and I wanted to name him sunset, but it sounded to girly in English xD
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #9 
sunstar93

Loving all the names(:
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Dragonfish, I love BBC sci-fi's. I may have to name one of my future fish Captain Jack, or River Song, although Rose Tyler would be good too.
Haha, you definitely should!! 8D
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote