Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #1 
pittipuppylove

Christmas Fish Paranoia

As much as I love Christmas, it's causing me a bit of anxiety this year. All of the extended family comes over to my family's house for Christmas dinner, which will be interesting because its the first year I'll have the fish around. We'll have several kids over, which doesn't bug me - what does is that a couple kid's parents don't believe in discipline. So all of the fish food is going away, signs are being put up that tell people not to tap on the glass, and I'm seriously considering taping all lids/openings shut to avoid any accidents.

I'll probably not feed any of them that day in case the kids want to feed them, so then We can get out the food on my terms and the kids can help me feed the fish. I can see them getting a kick out of watching my bettas eat - especially the female, who will easily jump a good couple of inches out of the water to grab a pellet off my finger. I'm also preparing responses for the adults and kids alike as to why my bettas are in such "big" tanks and why they all look so active and interesting while their's all died in a week.

Anyone else making special preparations for their fish for the holiday?
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

We have a quiet family Christmas and everyone is very well 'betta educated' so I don't have to worry about precautions, however in your case I think you are doing all the right things, I expect your bettas would thank you for it if they could, I hope and and your bettas have a great christmas
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

We never have company for Christmas so no worries here. I can certainly understand wanting to be prepared in case little kids want go mess around with things. I would absolutely FLIP OUT if someone messed with my fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #4 
Saphira101

We don't have a big Christmas at all. my parents and my brother, will be there (of course, I live with them) and my grandma will be coming over. that's it. but good luck, pittipuppylove!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #5 
pittipuppylove

Thanks, everybody! I'm pretty sure that everything's going to be fine, but the thought of people (especially family - I'll be in deep doo-doo if I throw so much as a disaproving look at family) messing with my tanks freaks me out.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #6 
veilmist

My fish traveled for the holidays, I live most of the year in a dorm in another city so I WAS NOT leaving him there but he came down early and my mom kept him for three weeks. She overfed him. She has had bettas so she thinks she know what is right but I had to be nice when I came back and Cadence was constipated. Poor fishy!
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #7 
bryanacute

Luckily, my cousin (who recently threatened to hurt/kill ALL of my fish) isn't coming for Christmas. My sister, who isn't coming until after X-Mas, knows not to screw with my fish. She does want to feed them sometimes but that's NOT gonna happen. After a few chaotic years, my grandma doesn't have a party. Instead I go to everyone's house and get my presents there. My fish are safe for now.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #8 
sunstar93

It's just my family this year, but I keep the food hidden anyway (; paranoid all the time lol.
Sounds like you've got a good battle plan ready! Good luck!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

I'm actually staying home for Christmas, apparently mom has work. :( But at least she gets her pay doubled. With me around, no one really plays with my fish. My sister sometimes taps on Lebron's tank but Lebron is okay with it. I have a special treat for them, though. Frozen bloodworm and daphnia night..! ^.^
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote