Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #1 
choclover

Tank Upgrades

Hello
I am a new registered user, but have been "creeping"( I am a research-aholic) this site since I bought my Betta's (Merle)in September for the childcare. Fell in love with Merle, needed to buy supplies for Merle(you know how the story goes)stopped by and looked at the Betta's while I was there and........I just HAD to get a Betta(Finnegin) for my office and I needed him to sit on my desk,to watch him all day ,of course.
I bought a 2.5 g Aqueon minibow(limited desk space),initially had silk plants, I have since moved to live plants(wisteria,anubias) and anxiously waiting for plants to arrive(Fin and I are loving the planted tank)I am still working on it being cycled.
Now I am thinking my tank is tooo small for all these plants. I was looking at the Petco 6.6g bookshelf tank(as this can still fit on my desk)but nervous about tank height for the plants, would I be limited to shorter plants?
I know bigger is easier to maintain a cycle,and IF i go bigger tank I would like to do a NPT,what is the minimum tank size to do this?

This site has been a great teaching tool and would love your input on this.
choclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Is there a heater? I have read you have to be very expeirnced to build NPTs. I have read you need plants on all levels even floating.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #3 
choclover

Yes, I have a heater, the temp is a steady 79-80 degrees,filter and gravel in my exisiting tank, I have changed my light to a zoo med ultrasun light with 6500 K.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Riccia Fluitans is a great floating plant.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #5 
sandrac8388

I think you should do a 10 gallon min. I've tried a 5.5 and a 10gal. You want the plants to have room to grow and your fish to have swimming space. Plus you can add more plants in a 10 :)))

My 5.5 is getting crammed with the heater, filter, wood, and plant growth..It can be done though, Keep up with the trimmings and if you're adding wood make sure it is small..be prepared for plant growth though..it is awesome you will love it and your fishy will feel like he's in a jungle!!! lol hope that helps
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am hoping my 10 gallon for the plants to grow in.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #7 
choclover

THX sandrac8838, it does help, I definately do not want to have to upgrade again and again, That is what I am finding with the 2.5 g now that I switched gears and delving into plant keeping,Never thought I would upgrade for the plants sake(more initial cost for plant keeping than the Betta sheeesh) I do not know what is more addicting ...the betta's or the plants.....LOL
Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sand is great.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #9 
choclover

THX ChoclateBetta
what kind of lighting does the Riccia Fluitans need? I have not heard of that plant, I will have to research it???
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #10 
sandrac8388

LOL! You and I are in the same boat! I love bettas and I keep buying them which then means I have to buy plants!! lol I get mine online for super cheap at

http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/

I got my first shipment this past week and was super impressed. You'll be glad you went with a larger tank believer me. I'm even thinking about selling my 5.5 and getting another 10 or re planting it and trimming some plants..

I'm ordering more plants this weekend for my third planted tank!
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote