Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #1 
lexiem

White growth on decorations

Hi, I wasn't sure whether I should post this under diseases and emergencies or habitat... but I've noticed something strange in my tank and I need some help!

I have a 10g heated tank with 1 male betta living in it. He has only been in the tank for about 9 days (before he was housed with my goldfish but it just recently came to my attention that this wasnt ideal). So now he lives on his own but this morning I noticed a white/transparent fluffy growth on two of the decorations and the gravel on one side of my tank. I have never seen anything like this before!

I've been treating him with bettafix because he had some fin and tail rot. That hasnt seemed to get any better but his attitude has changed drastically (in a good way) since I moved tanks. Just in case any of that is relevant.

Thanks for any replies, much appreciated!
lexiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
Hi, I wasn't sure whether I should post this under diseases and emergencies or habitat... but I've noticed something strange in my tank and I need some help!

I have a 10g heated tank with 1 male betta living in it. He has only been in the tank for about 9 days (before he was housed with my goldfish but it just recently came to my attention that this wasnt ideal). So now he lives on his own but this morning I noticed a white/transparent fluffy growth on two of the decorations and the gravel on one side of my tank. I have never seen anything like this before!

I've been treating him with bettafix because he had some fin and tail rot. That hasnt seemed to get any better but his attitude has changed drastically (in a good way) since I moved tanks. Just in case any of that is relevant.

Thanks for any replies, much appreciated!
Have you been overfeeding? the white slime fluffy is from decomposing elements in the tank. Just scrub them down without soap and see if they appear again, also do more water changes if he is having rot, aquarium salt is better than using medication as mmedication should be used only in mild-severe cases, plus I hear Bettafix has tree oil which harms the betta more than it heals it, so if you wish to use medication, I recommend changing brands.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fungus, sick, tank health