Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #11 
bryanacute

Yah that's what I was like. I went from a community tank of 10 to a tank for 1 betta. Such a change!
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #12 
sunstar93

That's a deal! I'm sure your future betta will be very happy(:
I wish you luck and again, welcome!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #13 
sandybottom
Reference Team

what kind of led are you using? i have leds over a 15 gallon low light and i am able to grow.....java ferns almost any kind of moss, marimo,apongeton,onion,anacharis,amazon swords, crypts,and red tiger lotus. some may even grow better in a 10 gallon with less depth. i use sand for a substrate or i've used eco complete substrate. both work great..i feed them with...nutrafin gro, tetra florapride and api co2 booster. homemade "fertsicles" for heavy root feeders. just osmocote plant granules frozen in some icecube trays. place them under plant in substrate before they melt make sure they are really in the substrate. this may not work with goldfish and other diggers. some people don't use ferts at all and have success.real plants... definately worth it. nerites rule..they don't poop like apple snails. they don't successfully breed in fresh water, are totally peaceful to other inhabitants and don't eat healthy plant material.1-2 for a 10 gallon.they will lay sesame sized eggs every so often with 2 or more. they also give an early warning sign for poor water quality by staying out of the water at the top of the tank. seeding your tank is great if you have some nice filthy filter media ,substrate or even dirty ornaments and fake plants can house bacterial colonies.i would try amano shrimp they are more docile than the ghost shrimp and are true herbivores that don't have claws. if you do get an algae crew, remember that if they clean your tank spotless. you will have to supplement their diets.they like a ph between7-8 i believe for molting and to prevent shell degradation in snails. have fun , be patient and all is well.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Live plants appropriate for a low-light office situation include Java fern, Java moss and Anubias---my favorite, which comes in several sizes and leaf lengths. It can be tied to rocks or floated for Betta beds and topcover. Not sure you can have too many plants for a Betta tank. Don't forget floaters---Wisteria, frogbit, watersprite. Forget duckweed...ick.

Using seeded media from another tank is the best way to cycle a new tank, as long as your established tank is clean and disease-free. Using a portion of seeded filter media is a great jumpstart. You can also precycle a filter by putting it in an established tank for a few weeks. When installed in your new thank, the cycle will already be running.

Some Betta with large fins (half-moons, veiltails) are weaker swimmers than shorter fin types--depending on the individual, of course. Many small-tank keepers and I recommend using a sponge filter because they are gentle, creating little current. They also provide a lot of volume in which to establish a colony of nitrifying bacteria.

Good luck. Post pics when you're set-up. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; 12-03-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #15 
sandybottom
Reference Team

sorry, what i mean to say ... nerites do poop, just not as much as apple snails. small bioload.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #16 
sandybottom
Reference Team

look on plantedtank.net search for jamesfromcali he made an extensive low light plant list. you'll be surprized at the reaction you can get from people when you have a nicely planted or iwagumi style tank. there are some good tutorials on youtube to help give you ideas ;)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #17 
Dameon

The cycle begins!

I picked up the tank today, that 10gal Tetra Complete LED Aquarium kit that Petco has on sale. It's certainly not the best tank I've ever owned and I don't think it's exactly squared up too well! My local area is saturated with Petco/Petsmart stores so between them I picked up everything I needed in one trip, sans Betta.

I got some dark sand substrate for live aquariums and a mix of Amazon Sword, Wisteria, Java Fern and Dwarf Hairgrass. We'll see how well the grass works out...

I popped the used filter from my Platy tank into the filter for the new Betta tank, added about 3~4 gallons of water taken from my other aquarium mixed with new water, and some of the decorative stones I used were also taken from the Platy tank as well. Add chemicals & stir.

I hope to get some picks up soon, once the water clears.
Dameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #18 
sandybottom
Reference Team

do those have the 9 stick-on leds in the hood? i was looking at one for my 14 year old son. but the fluval edge 6 gallon is on sale for 77 i think.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #19 
Dameon

It has a string of LEDS that snap onto the hood, yes. Very easy installation but you should probably help/supervise your son with the hood assembly. I recommend the kit. The inclusion of the small heater is something comparable kits lack. The filter takes the standard Medium size inserts, which are very easy to find and available from several manufacturers. I think it is a good traditional style set-up and great for beginners and the sale price makes it even cheaper than other smaller gallon tank kits!

I was totally drooling over the Fluvial Edge, as they had one set up in the store. It really is a beautiful tank but two things turned me off of it:

1st was the very high price tag.

2nd was the trendy marketing of the system. It could look dated fast or worse, they cease production and you'd no longer be able to source the specific filters for it and have to improvise.

Still, I wouldn't turn one down if someone gave it to me!
Dameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #20 
sandybottom
Reference Team

the major problem on the fluval is access to the led lights. it would be for x-mas so the $$ isn't that bad for a cool teenager( who is super responsible,and has a cool mom to learn from.)gift. he wants to get into aquascaping. filters? i make my own filters and filter inserts. the marinas are not bad either. i think the leds on your may not be strong enough for your wisteria and grass. you may need supplemental lighting. you can get led stick on light strips. what are the leds rated at? does sound like a good deal. and i have extra tank hoods i can switch out.going to suggest a timer for your lights. if you are not around for the weekend. 4 bucks at walmart or home depot etc.