Betta Fish Forum banner

fish food rant/ actually pet food in general

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sunstar93 
#1 ·
I've never been able to figure out why they put wheat in pet food. I mean, animals don't normally eat wheat, so why put it in there? I know, it's a filler and a binder, etc. , but come on.

Sorry, I have a wheat allergy and my husband and son both have celiac disease, so wheat, rye and barley are pretty much poison to them. So I consider it extra bad for pets whose normal diets would never even have anything like wheat in it. I certainly wouldn't expect my mom's cats to go out into a wheat field and start munching on it. And since wheat doesn't even grow in lakes/river/streams/ponds/puddles/oceans, a fish certainly isn't going to eat it.

Sorry, brief, and pointless rant. Just needed to get it off my chest.
Thanks for listening.

#2 ·
I agree with you completely. Luckily they make grain free foods for cats and dogs. I wish with all my heart that they made it for bettas. But at least NLS has whole wheat flour, which is better than just "wheat flour".

#3 ·
I totally agree...was getting some new food for my dog, a Yorkie who is very picky lol, and one of the first ingredients on pretty much all the bags was wheat or wheat flour...I guess because, as you said, it's a filler and it's cheap and easy to process...it's a little infuriating sometimes. Very recently I've gotten kinda uptight about what I feed my animals and wheat is one thing I watch out for. I remember reading somewhere that the closer an ingredient is to the beginning of the ingredients list, the more the product has in it....it's sad that companies don't really care as much anymore about what animals are fed. Now I understand why some people prefer to make their own pet food lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.