Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #1 
NVGail228

Unhappy Sad night in Northern NV

My two new boys (both OHM) arrived yesterday and festivities and celebration followed. Acclimation went well and both were happily swimming and strutting their stuff. And then.....

Both tanks have small feeding holes in the front and larger holes in the back for heaters. I thought they were adequately covered. I didn't realize that I'd actually knocked one of the covers slightly awry....Was just sitting here looking at my pretties and realized I couldn't see Troy Donohue (one of the new boys). Crawled around searching in the tank and even checked the floor...but still couldn't find him, but then the phone rang, the dog needed to go out, blah, blah, blah.

When I came back I realized Troy D. was still not to be seen. Crawled around some more, took everything out of the tank...still no Troy. Got the flashlight and searched again behind the tank and on the floor....and found poor Troy D. cold, dry and stiff under the shelving. Tried to revive him but it was too late. I am heartsick and feel like a murderer. To have come all this way to be one of my babies and then die so horribly. I feel like screaming.

Know there's nothing anyone can do....just wanted to wail to people who'd understand. My dog is trying to confort me and the other little guys swimming around helps some but every time I see that one dark, empty tank I go right back to feeling like total crap. The unhappy icon on the message header doesn't begin to cover it. I admit that I've struggled with clinical depression for many years and had just recently started to feel good enough to begin getting involved with betta again. And now....just feel like crying. RIP Troy Donohue. You were here only a short time but you will be sorely missed.
Attached Images

NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

atleast he has someone to mourn him. and appreciate his beauty. try not to be too hard on yourself. we've all made mistakes.still really stinks though. sorry you are going through this. i had 1 bail on me once. had the lights off so i didn't notice until the next morning. he jumped thru the feeding hole that appeared too small to jump thru. boy, was i wrong. just heartbreaking. chin up ;)
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #3 
Twixies

RIP Troy ): If the picture is Troy, I would like to say that he's a very beautiful looking fish.
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #4 
NVGail228

Thank you. Yes. the picture is Troy D....my blond beach boy. I've had jumpers before but always been lucky enough to save them from themselves. Guess everyone who's had bettas knows something like this could happen....but still makes me feel sad (and guilty)
Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 AM   #5 
RoMay

Plastic craft mesh, it may not look to pretty but great for thwarting jumpers. My betta might not jump yet -knock on wood- but my minnows sure have taught me about jumpers.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #6 
sainthogan

My female is a jumper and did jump out once. I know she was out for at least a half hour, but I was able to save her. She jumped out of a hole that was at most a half inch around. I have everything covered, even the smallest openings.
I'm very sorry for your loss.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #7 
NVGail228

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMay View Post
Plastic craft mesh, it may not look to pretty but great for thwarting jumpers. My betta might not jump yet -knock on wood- but my minnows sure have taught me about jumpers.
Yeah, day late and a dollar short but every crack I could find on Ft Knox Al's tank is covered with plastic crash mesh now. I was just stupid. I know bettas can be great jumpers but I allowed myself to be lulled by the fact that none of my others (this time around) seem to be. Sadly, Troy D. was the victim of my (re)learning curve.

Thank you all for your kind thougts. All the other guys are quite happy....they got "guilt" blood worms for dinner today.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #8 
registereduser

Not your fault, nature of the beast.

But God he was a gorgeous fellow!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #9 
Option

The pictured betta is gorgeous. Was he from an aquabid auction?

Sorry for your loss....these things happen and we learn from them. Even if it's over and over.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #10 
NVGail228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
The pictured betta is gorgeous. Was he from an aquabid auction?

Sorry for your loss....these things happen and we learn from them. Even if it's over and over.
Thanks. Yes, he was from Aquabid. The breeder uses the name Interbettas on Aquabid. His real name is Sanya Ponpal and every betta I have ever bought from him currently as well as 6 years ago have been beautiful as well as healthy. Plus, he's a really nice guy. This last time I had an unexpected hospital trip and he was great about holding them until I was ready for them to ship. I think he used to also sell on Ebay but I'm not sure he still does.