Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #1 
prosthetik

Exclamation Really not sure - please help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No - summer here, don't need one.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley's Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? One in morning, one at night, sometimes two. Frozen bloodworms on occasion

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta conditioner, Aqua One Ph Down

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: NA
Nitrite: NA
Nitrate: NA
pH: 7
Hardness: NA
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks like fin biting or rot, can't tell the difference Im sorry, loss of color in the "webbing" between his fin rays [he's a CT], slight loss of color on head, & really bloated but kind of looks like he is losing weight everywhere else.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Darts around sometimes but has ben hiding under his half log a lot in the last day or two as well.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 2 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put API Stress Coat in the water today as well as Aq Salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Was kinda "depressed" when I first purchased him about 4 months ago but it seemed to be because he was in a 1/2 gallon tank.
How old is your fish (approximately)?Got him from the pet store so anywhere around a year Im guessing.

-----

I can't get any pics of him at the moment, I'll try a bit later. But Im worried it might be advanced fin rot or something. He looks bloated but its weird, not like he ate too much, cause my boyfriend gave him a pellet & he wouldn't eat it. He doesn't have raised scales though.

Im really worried because he is one of my 3 'main' boys that I have - Ollie - & I would be devastated if I lost him.
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

sounds like dropsy. raised scales is called pineconeing. maracyn two. salt 1 tsp. per gallon. gotta act fast if this is dropsy. they can go into organ failure. warm very clean water. good food. good luck to you if this is dropsy. unfortunately it is very difficult to cure. if there is no hope. clove oil is most humane. read about dropsy before you make your decisions to know what you're up against. and that it is actually dropsy. could be bacterial,liver dysfunction or parasitic infestation.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #3 
prosthetik

He doesnt have raised scales though, so Im pretty sure its not Dropsy. In the past half hour his tail has gone really pale.

:(
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

oops sorry. 330 am and i evidently can't read. yeah. why do you only have a ph level listed and what is the untreated ph level? have you tested in the last 24 hrs? do you know the other levels? if you are worried about fin rot lower your temp to 78 degrees. warmer water aggrevates this and treating with epsom salt. my betta would be emaciated only eating two pellets a day. people seem to go to the extremes. feed their bettas until they pop or not enough til they waste away. try fresh brine shrimp or daphnea they act as mild laxatives. do you soak the pellets before you feed? a bettas stomach is roughly the same size as their eye.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote