Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #11 
RoMay

Sorry I was away for a bit due to a fried power cord. The day after I wrote here last I came home to find four tails sticking out of the plastic tube. Guess if they try hard enough they can all fit in an one inch tube together. 0_o The time when you wish you had a camera but sadly can't get to it. Less nipping, more territorial shoving matches. If you never watched how minnows fight over territory you're missing something funny.

RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #12 
sandybottom
Reference Team

your goldfish is called a common goldfish. not a comet as i had previously guessed. notice the shape of the tail. they may get along. they are on the compatable species list. but if you havn't had goldies before...they grow fast and have a hugely varied diet. feed lots of fresh veggies if you can. crude protein in their pellet or flake food should be at about 34%. and you may need a larger filter.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #13 
RoMay

For now he seems like a bottom feeder taking what ever the minnows don't eat. Swear that fish needs to get more competitive for food. But it is nice to know goldfish have similar diets to minnows which eat practically anything. He just ate a quite bit of roots from the lilly that's trying to grow so figure he'll be full for a bit. 0_o Well it's nice to know it's not going to be as much as a mess as I feared it'd be. Well mess other then the increased cage pruning and the increasing dead plants.

Dumb question, can you have to strong of a filter for a tank?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #14 
sandybottom
Reference Team

not for goldfish! but seriously,at some point there is overkill. hobs/power filters can put out quite a current. canisters aren't as bad. usually i give 2 to 3x filtration to my goldies,depending on size. best to get something a little too big with variable flow. he's pretty small yet, so you have a little time. he is a cutie. i've had many that resemble him.

Last edited by sandybottom; 12-05-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #15 
RoMay

Yeah I can picture the minnows and the goldfish with a stronger current. Knowing the minnows they'll swim to one side of the aquarium to the other stop swimming and take a fast trip across aquarium and repeat (they kinda do that now). Now question is, do, and can goldfish do the same thing (ride current).
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #16 
sandybottom
Reference Team

it would be too stressful.i do wonder if you can condition them by increasing the current very slowly, over a long time period. well i guess i'm off to study strength conditioning in fish.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #17 
RoMay

well minnows are naturally current swimmers, but I don't know about goldfish. I could yank the tank apart and add an under gravel filter at some time if goldfish gets bigger... .... ... When in this conversation did I start pondering just accepting the guy/gal.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #18 
sandybottom
Reference Team

funny...my first goldfish was against my will. now i always have a tank for goldies.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #19 
MistersMom

lmao, i love the way you said all that, its NOT a funny situation but ..... it made me laugh, sorry about your psycho F!^#@$% S%^&*# fish lmao. Thats awesome.... you should probably just like, fill her bath tub up enough for him and put him in there, with water conditioner of course.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #20 
RoMay

NO MORE FISH! Oh lordy, I got a tiny itty bitty room. To think the ten gallon pretty much takes up the majority of the distance between my bed and closet. XD He has not tore up any decorations today, just mutilated a few plants. My minnows seemed to have decided to move their territory though they still play under the filter. I'm not saying (s)he can stay yet. We'll see,