Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #1 
MissLyss1024

Filter suggestions?

I'd really like to get a new filter for my 10 gallon tank. I got the 10 gallon kit from Walmart and I hate the filter setup. I know nothing about filters so I need some help. Are sponge filters any good? What do I need to run one? How does it work and does it move the water around? What about the in tank filters that use polyester and carbon? Thanks!
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

A sponge needs an airpump, airline tube and the sponge itself.

Sponge filters work by aquarium water being drawn thru the porous sponge where debris is trapped mechanically. As well aerobic bacteria remove nitrogenous wastes such as ammonia and nitrites.
Water is moved thru the sponge media via a lift caused by air bubbles form an air pump attached to the filter via air line tubing or by a power head attached to the top of the lift tube.
Simply put, a Sponge Filter uses a water pump to pull or push water through the pores in the sponge or an air pump to create a suction that does similar.

The pores then trap debris of varying size where it can be rinsed or squeezed out& also these pores have a a considerable amount of area where aerobic bacteria eventually propagate.
The size and quality of the pores will determine flow and how much debris can be trapped and how large of bacterial colonies can exist within the filter.

With sponge pre- filters the concept is similar; water is drawn thru the sponge media by the suction of the filter such as a HOB, power head, water pump, or canisters motor unit.

Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote