Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #1 
BettaPirate

Baby Betta Tank size?

I know that it has been posted several times that it is best to have a 2 gallon minimum size tank for a betta but I was wondering if a baby betta can be kept in a 1 gallon tank comfortably until it matures?
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

Just keep a really close eye on water quality. :)

Really even adult bettas, especially the ones with ridiculous finnage can be kept in 1 gallon, sometimes to their benefit if they have less room to haul those heavy fins around. But no need to make this a debate about tank size. Just keep that water clean and warm!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #3 
babystarz

Yes a 1 gal would work, but you'll need to do daily 100% water changes to keep up with the ammonia and hormone production. I have done this myself in a pinch and it worked out fine.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Or get some cheap, fast, heavy ammonia absorbing plants like anacharis and just float it at the top. It will help you baby feel secured and you could do like a 50% change a day instead. I caution against doing 100% every day as there is such a thing as too clean, and water changes are stressful but babystarz is right, you need to make sure that growth stunting hormone doesn't build up.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #5 
SpeakNow13

I had one of my babys in a 5 gallon when I got her, She didn't like it one bit! She constantly had stress stripes and her fins were never perky! I put her in a 1.5 gallon bowl until she is mature and she seems much happier for now!
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #6 
BettaPirate

Thanks for the responses. I already have a small tank with heater so I think i'll try it out and if the baby seems unhappy I'll upgrade asap.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #7 
Myates

A 1 gallon is just fine for a betta to live in it's whole life.. and please do not do 100% water change daily, as the tank would then be too sterile and that would be detrimental to the overall health/immune system of the fish. Tanks that are 1-4 gallons with no filter require the same amount of water changes per week - 1 50% and 1 100%. Anything more and you're not helping the fish out.. there needs to be a balance to the water and bacteria, etc.

BUT a baby betta (those tiny ones at Petco) do require a bit more cleaner water - so at most just add in another 50% per week until it's a few months old, then go to 1 50% and 1 100% per week schedule.

Bettas generally do not accumulate a whole lot of ammonia themselves, so it takes a bit more time to build up in the tank (this based off of no excess food being left in the tank to rot).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #8 
Kytkattin

^+1 for Myates! You said it way better than I managed. Clean, but not too clean. They don't need to live in a sterile environment!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would still go with the 2 gallon. The 2 would be safer. If you go with the 1 gallon semi aquatic plants growing out of the lid is good.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #10 
gossipgirl1031

In my experience, I've found a gallon to be fine. Clean, but not too clean of water is best. And it needs to be warm. I usually go for the really tiny babies, they don't do too well during the winter in the stores where I live. Good luck!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote