Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #11 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Why take the chance though? I wouldn't want my rescue betta I had nursed back to health to end up in a worse situation than before. This really to me does not sound like someone who is well-versed in fish care or who has the knowledge and experience to provide a fish with a good home.

It's why rescue groups with other animals always have stringent rules and hoops to jump through before you can adopt. For me personally this does not sound like someone I would be comfortable leaving a fish in the hands of.
Yeah, but absolutely ANY re-home is a chance. You have to be willing to take it if you want to re-home the animal.
With critters such as dogs and cats, people get away with keeping far more than the legal limit, under the pretense that they are fosters, but as many of the hoops that they set are for their convenience, not the animals.
Eight cats in one house? You really think that they're truly better off than in a "first cat" home?
A border collie being kept as a "rescue pet" rather than as that bonded companion that he was born to be? Wrong on so many levels!
And a single 20-something being told that she's an unsuitable pet parent because the dog will have to be home alone while she works, also she's very young to commit... That's also cruel. I've had more real experience with more different kinds of animals than most "rescuers" and "foster-ers" twice my age! I filled out the paperwork... It's all on there! My life has been nothing if not committed to animals.
But that's a very personal anger, which has, unfortunately, been re-enforced several too many times over.

The fact is: Do you really wanna re-home the creature or are you just saying that for whatever reason? If you want to keep it, do. Otherwise, choose your gamble. Don't sit on the "willing to hang on to him indefinitely"
In my opinion, if you're even considering letting him go, you should. Every life deserves kindred life.

Last edited by Chuckee; 12-03-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote