Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #1 
thephantomdragon

Exclamation Dreamweaver is possibly sick 8'( pineconing HELP

Hi, I just need some advice about my HM betta, Dreamweaver. He means a lot to me (I call my fish my babies) and I'm not entirely sure what is going on/what to do.

The last few days (maybe this has gone on for about a week?) his tail has had quite a substantial tear in it, I suspected a blow out so I am treating him with medicine for fins.

He is not really moving around as much as he used to (he is a very personable fish that loves being around people). He has also stopped flaring at Tiny Tim (my crowntail in the tank nextdoor) as well as not eating out of my hand like usual (he is trained).

He mostly stays in his plant near the surface of the water. I clean his tank weekly (sometimes 2 changes a week as needed). Today I spied something rather frightening. I believe some of his scales are pineconing out, but I can't tell if this is me being paranoid of if it is really happening.

What should I do to help him with this? I added a couple rocks of freshwater aquarium salt to bring down bloating if he has any.

Is there anything I can do? He is my baby and I don't want to loose him, I just lost Houdini to dropsy about a month ago and I don't want him to meet the same fate.

I will post a before and after if I can manage to snag one.
thephantomdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well, we need more info...complete this form and add to your thread. The more info the better-Look forward to the pics too.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #3 
thephantomdragon

Housing
What size is your tank? 1gal
What temperature is your tank? Not sure, probably around 76 F as that is what my tanks around it are reading currently
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze Dried Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 - 2 times per week (as needed)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Brand Betta Safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Slight tearing of fins, possible pineconing (will find out when I do the water change tonight after work)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No longer interacting with me, no flaring, staying near surface of water, small sickly bubbles (no usual bubble nest), will not perform his tricks, will not eat out of hand (does not seem to want his food)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago, he was beginning to act normal with fins unclamped 2 days ago but now hes sluggish again. (fins still unclamped)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I am using BettaFix and freshwater aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? About half a year?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #4 
thephantomdragon

http://postimage.org/image/lwpkc6r5n/ (if it doesn't work)

This is him before he got sick (sorry I couldn't catch him flaring he just didn't want to take a pic that day)

The pic of him sick will come after I get off work.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would get a thermometer and check the temp for starters. While 76F is generally fine to keep them in IMO/E-I would at least check it to make sure it is at least 76F.

Also, if he is starting to pine cone-I would switch to Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and add a tannin source if you have one-Either IAL or dried Oak leaf.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water to use for 50% daily water changes, lower the water level by half and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ-Dim lit quiet location.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-Some of the problem might be nutrition related due to the FDBW you are feeding. These are great to use for an occasional treat-but not ideal to use for the staple diet.
If you have access to any live mosquito larva-I would offer several rinsed a couple of times a day to boost protein/nutrition intake to support the immune response.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #6 
thephantomdragon

Thanks! I have never heard of tannin before, what exactly does it do?

Also I can get Epsom salt tonight when I get off work tonight, one of my co-workers has informed me where to find some plain Epsom.

How long should I keep up the 50% changes, I'm assuming until he gets to be his old self again. I am concerned about covering the top with veggie wrap, will this not suffocate him? I don't really want to make him suffocate on top of being sick.

As for FDBWs I feed him these because I do not wish to risk the parasites that come with live feedings, plus I doubt my roommates would appreciate a mosquito culture in my room (and my landlord on top of that who doesn't even ALLOW fish in the apt but I do it anyways because I didn't find out until the day I moved in and the fish were in my room).

Is there anything else you would recommend I feed him?

Thanks for the help, and should I keep him on the BettaFix that I have him on now?

Here are some of the pics I took today:

Old 12-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #7 
Hershey

Bettafix is harming your fish more than hurting it. It damages the labyrinth organ (when they go to get air.) In the "healing process, it irritates that area more causing it to heal faster, but it isn't fun for the fish. Omega One betta buffet pellets and New life spectrum pellets are the most recommended.

Last edited by Hershey; 12-03-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #8 
thephantomdragon

OH! I only got it after researching it and reading reviews of it in forums all over the place. I had no clue that was how it worked, I didn't put it in his water when I changed it today so I will keep him off of it. Thank you SO MUCH for letting me know!

He refuses the betta pellets, but I will try again just in case he will eat them.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #9 
Hershey

You're welcome. I read on here putting pellets in garlic juice makes them more appealing to the fish.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #10 
thephantomdragon

Oh, really? I'll have to see about getting some of that. I would have never thought of that. I will try that tonight when I get home. :)

Tags
pineconing, sick