Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #1 
roselight7

Betta Fin Tear, Help Please!

Hello, my betta Albus has some sort of a tear/hole in his tail, as can be seen in the following picture. He has also been behaving strangely, resting at the side of the tank with his body bent a bit, as in the picture. He lives in a 5 gallon tank that has some gravel and pebbles, a heater, and I feed him Betta Crisps once a day. He used to have a normal appetite and swam fine. He likes to hide behind the heater(which is shaped as a smooth spatula and is not sharp). Now, past few days, he became kind of lethargic, resting in the corner of the tank or behind the heater. I didn't notice anything on the tail then, but thought that I should do a 100% water change since a month passed since the last one. I took the Betta out of the tank and placed it into its old fishbowl. That's when I noticed the tear in his fin. I'm not sure if he had it already or if I somehow injured him while moving him. In any case, I left him in the bowl for another day, and his behavior is the same. He swims up for air then floats back down to the side of the bowl and rests with his bottom half lying down and his head sort of raised. He's also seems to have lost his appetite. I'm not sure what to do, since I don't know if this is fin rot. The rest of his fins look okay. Also, i use tap water and add dechlorinator. I have had Albus for about a year and four months now. Should I get the aquarium salt or something else or just let Albus try to heal on its own? Any help is appreciated.
roselight7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Do you think it is possible that it could be a burn from the heater?
It will likely heal on it's own, but AQ salt will help.
The lethargy could be the result of ammonia poisoning, since the water hadn't been changed for awhile.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #3 
roselight7

Thanks. I will add the salt. I don't know if it was the heater, but will remove it anyway. I thought the fishnet I used to take it out might have somehow damaged the fin.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Make sure to dissolve the salt first. He needs warm water. I'm not sure but it sort of looks like it could be a burn from the pictures..
What does his tank set up look like? He may be resting on the heater if there is a lack of other things to rest on.
Also, if you think the net is damaging his fins, you can cup him instead of netting him. Make sure to try to do it in the middle of the water as you don't want to clip his fins on the side of the tank.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #5 
roselight7

Well, he rested not on the heater but upon the gravel behind the heater (he sort of has like a burrow there.) I used to have a fabric plant in the tank some time ago, but I removed it. I don't think he liked it much. It was in the tank for maybe three months or so. Right now I have the bottom lined with gravel and a few pebbles and round marbles. I have a small shell but it is not sharp. Basically that is it.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Maybe his tail just got too close? Sometimes my betta will not touch any of his new decorations. He prefers his old ones. However, some of the new decor I added, he acutally uses. I would try silk plants and see if you can find one he will rest on instead. They generally like to rest near the surface so they are closer to air, so having some plants with large leaves that get close to the surface or reach the surface are good. It also provides some cover.

I ordered several silk plants for both of my bettas. The old one, it seems, like darker colored things better than lighter colored things, so I added the darker green silk plants to his tank and the lighter colored ones to the other tank. Also, they don't have eyelids, so when they're resting, they like to have some shade. You can also get a cave or something as long as it has no sharp edges or holes that you can't fit your thumb into. The burrow he has kind of sounds like he was attempting to make himself a cave.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 12-03-2012 at 03:39 PM.