Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #1 
Juicebox

betta bulbs

saw these on petco, just says on the packet they are betta bulbs, plants for your bettas tank, no other discription ,you get i think 3 bulbs in a dry packet.

any idea what these plants are??
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #2 
Laki

Hm. What is the light output on it? LED lights are not enough to grow plants. In my experience, even the low light plants. My anubias and java fern withered a bit but once I got the 6500k light they began to grow. Even my hornwort died off on low light.

*NVM* I thought you found a small tank light! lol sorry. No, I don't know what those bulbs are. Sometimes they're the water lilies.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

I bought some of those, 2 were duds but one is growing nicely, It's going to be huge! The baby leaves are twice the size of my bettas, It's insane. I think it will eventually outgrow my tank but I'll just replace it when that time comes. My leaves are a nice red color. I think they're tiger Lotus?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #4 
babystarz

My guess is it's some type of lily. Is the bulb kind of unevenly round?
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 
Juicebox

yeah unevenly round
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #6 
babystarz

Ok yep, that's probably what it is then. I had one in my 20 long, and I didn't realize that it could get huge if I didn't prune it. It ended up taking over the tank and I threw most of the plant away... but now i have TWO new lilies that are growing from those roots :P They are tiny though so this time I'll watch them closely to make sure I remove the leaves before they get too huge.

They are gorgeous plants though, and they do well in lower light. You just push the bulb halfway into your substrate, and once it sprouts push it all the way in. I'd say only about 1 in 4 of the bulbs I bought sprouted at all, so make sure you buy the kind with a replacement guarantee that you can mail away for. I think the ones in the pet store sit around a little too long.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

I tried them - they all rotted before they even sprouted. I did hoever order 2 dwarf lilly plants online and I have to trim them every 2 weeks - they grow so fast and so tall.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #8 
Butterfly

all of the ones I saw at petco had mold growing on them :(

edit:
But that doesn't mean they aren't good. They looked interesting, I wanted to give them a go but decided that just getting live plants would be easier. My amazon sword is a sad panda. I think I'll try the betta bulbs next if they do well in low light :)
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #9 
Laki

It wasn't mold you saw, it was probably a form of algae. Probably the balck/brown stuff which might spread to the rest of your tank if you don't quarentine the plant first. Treat it with some algae killer.. Sorry, I don't know what to use to kill the brown algaes.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #10 
Butterfly

it was a white/green mold D: Maybe it was just that batch(the entire stock :( Maybe now they will have different ones?
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote