Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #1 
Fin Fancier

New filter isn't working

Hi, I got a marineland pillar for Christmas and followed the directions for tank and filter setup. I filled the tank with water, put the filter in and added some water to the filter then plugged it in, but while the filter is making a lot of noise the water is not flowing from the filter in to the tank. I tried taking it apart and making sure the impeller is fully in the housing then plugging it in again but after 5 minutes of running there is still no flow, just a lot of noise. My other tank doesn't have a filter so this is the first one I've set up in quite some time. Any tips/suggestions to get it working would be appreciated.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Hmmm, is there an intake tube? Did you check it to make sure there's nothing they put in it for packaging?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #3 
Fin Fancier

Yup, I put the intake tube is clear, everything is fitting together, but when I plug it in all it does is make noise, even after 5 minutes it wasn't pulling water through.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #4 
Braided Kitteness

Try slowly pouring water into the filter while it's working to pull. One of my filters sometimes takes some time. When I gradually pour water into the filter, it usually ends up pulling water from the tank after 30 seconds to a minute of doing this.
Braided Kitteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #5 
Neight

My older model of Aquaclear 20 does not run once emptied unless I force water into the impeller housing chamber via turkey baster. Then it runs like a charm! Maybe try that?
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote