Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #41 
amyteee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
amyteee, I love your tank, it's very pretty!
Thankyou! :D
amyteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #42 
JAGalletta

Quote:
+1! I can't wait to install it!
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #43 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyteee View Post
I also just realised nobody seems to have explained to the OP how the undergravel filter actually works...

Basically its a raised plate with small holes to allow water through placed into a bare bottom tank. An uplift tube is attached to this by some means, then an airline is fed down this tube about two thirds of the way. The plate is topped with about 1.5-2 inches of gravel, the smaller gravel being the best type to use in my experience. When the air pump is turned on the air bubbles will draw water down through the gravel and under the filter plate, then carries the water back up through the outflow tube. The gravel is essentially your filter media.

Best to have a flow control tap on your air pump so that the bubbling isn't too vigorous. My boy bites his tail if I leave it turned up for prolonged periods, so I have to keep a gentle bubbling. Longest post I have ever written - Phew!
Some one posted this great Diagram.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #44 
Fishehgobloop

Quote:
+2. That is a gorgeous tank. I wish I could keep live plants, but I always kill any that I try to cultivate. :( Except moss balls, I have 4 of those. :P Does your undergravel filter mess with the root system in any way? Or vice versa, do the roots ever mess with the filter? I've heard a few people say that an undergravel filter is bad with live plants, but your tank says otherwise.
Fishehgobloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #45 
kfryman

Without either another filter that has sponge and some kind of porous media that allows the bacteria to colonize or live plants, that are actively growing, an undergravel filter isn't always the best. However what you can do is get something like lava rock, crush it up, and lay it on top of the undergravel filter, or in it if the pieces are small enough. This way, you have much greater surface area for the bacteria to settle on as regular gravel will not usually have enough surface area. If you ever have any money that you have lying around you can get the Azoo Palm Filter on Amazon for like $10 (sign up for a Prime trial, but make sure to cancel it before the 1 month is up as it costs $79 a year, which is worth it if you share it and if you order a lot like me) Prime will get you free two day shipping so you get a low price. The filter is very small and has adjustable flow to where any sized finned betta could swim by it. Having an undergravel filter plus a hang on back is good for better circulation and more surface area fr bacteria. What is also great is you can take the remaining crushed up lava rock and fill in the area in the HOB that is not being used for more are for bacteria. It is always better to have more than you need than too little.

Also, hyjacking is more of "Oh whoa this thread is helpful! Can you go check out my thread (that has nothing to do with this)" or if they take it over and talk about something else. If the subject is undergravel and someone asks a question or asks what it is or something, that helps for anybody interested in the topic later on and they can look at this thread. That's all I'm gonna say.

Last edited by kfryman; 12-21-2012 at 12:23 AM.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #46 
amyteee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishehgobloop View Post
+2. That is a gorgeous tank. I wish I could keep live plants, but I always kill any that I try to cultivate. :( Except moss balls, I have 4 of those. :P Does your undergravel filter mess with the root system in any way? Or vice versa, do the roots ever mess with the filter? I've heard a few people say that an undergravel filter is bad with live plants, but your tank says otherwise.
Thanks! Roots grow really well in mine but they do grow right into the filter plate too which makes them hard to pull up if you ever want to split and propagate. I'll show you an amazon sword I had that started with a black stub of dead roots. Sadly this plant died after i split it :<

*edit* Lots of new leaves grew on this one while it was a single plant too. :D
Attached Images

Last edited by amyteee; 12-21-2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
amyteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #47 
NorthernLights

Ugf

Ok, I just need to weigh in here...

UGF are NOT "outdated". Period. There are no other filters that work the same way. UGF's circulate water throughout the tank more completely than other filters. When you run a tank with a heater, that's a really nice thing to have, because it helps keep the water temp uniform throughout the tank rather than having hot and cold spots.

As for the flow rate...just baffle the riser tube. That's what people do to their sponge filters all the time. I shoved some pieces of a soft plastic plant into the top of my riser tube, and viola!

Plants with deep roots can be problematic with UGF's, but there are floating plants and such that are just fine.

I'm not saying everyone has to use a UGF. I'm not saying they are the best kind of filter; there is no "one true way". But, they do have advantages that I think are greatly overlooked.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #48 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They kind of are. Planted HOBs forever.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #49 
TheCheese909

That's your own opinion CB and does not count for everyone else. NorthernLights is correct.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #50 
Fishehgobloop

Cheese is right, just because something is "older" or "different" or whatever doesn't make it outdated. We all use what we use because it's what works best for us based on our knowledge, and/or what we've done with the tanks that we have. It's like the saying "don't knock it till you've tried it," except instead of food or whatever, it's fish tank filters.
Fishehgobloop is offline   Reply With Quote