Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #1 
Surferjo

Dividers, clear or opaque?

I'm currently in the process of building a new tank to house 4 betta fish. I was wondering if it is better to use clear dividers or opaque. My LPS says clear is better as flairing is like a form of exercise for bettas. It makes sense as there are no dividers in nature. Others have stated that can put an unecessory amount of stress on the fish.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #2 
Laki

The pet store people ... Um...

There are differing opinions. I made my own divider with plastic craft mesh, The fish can see each other but I also planted some plants right against the divider on both sides so they can have their privacy. And after a while they just totally ignored each other, they absolutely do NOT exercise anymore with each other. They will get de-sensitized to it which is why I think the clear ones are totally fine.

Whatever kind you get, make sure it has holes for water flow. It might be cheaper to make one using this tutorial : http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #3 
Myates

Flaring is great exercise for them.. they will tire out and go rest or do something else when they want to. It's not as if they can't stop flaring :)

I use crafting mesh for mine - works just fine. Just place a couple tall/large plants next to it so they do get some privacy, but are able to see each other in some areas if they wish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #4 
Surferjo

I have seen that craft mesh thread and where it seems to be a very cost effect way to create them they look a bit sloppy IMO.

Im going to go with either 1/4 arylic or opaque plastic cutting boards with 1/8" holes cut out on a water jet. The hole pattern will be super clean and allow me to concentrate the water flow through out the tank. I may go with an inch sleeve at the bottom of the tank instead of siliconing them in. This way i can remove or change them.

I like the idea of a clear divider better. thanks for the help.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #5 
Laki

I just had an idea.. You could probably make a moss wall divider with the craft mesh.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #6 
Surferjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I just had an idea.. You could probably make a moss wall divider with the craft mesh.
That sounds interesting. What moss varity would climb up the mesh divider? I will be using the Marineland Double LED lighting system BTW.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 
Surferjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjo View Post
That sounds interesting. What moss varity would climb up the mesh divider? I will be using the Marineland Double LED lighting system BTW.

Now im thinking, wouldnt the moss eventually stop the flow?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #8 
Laki

Java moss likes to "wall".. Hm, interesting point on stopping the flow. Crap, it seemed like such a pretty idea! lol