Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #1 
DevonGlenn

Friends for a Betta in a 20 Gal?

Hi there!

My first Betta died recently and I am thinking about getting another one! My last little guy was in a big bowl, but it was not heated and filtered, which I think had something to do with his illness and death. After that I resolved to get a better set up for my next fish, so I have recently acquired a 20 Gallon tank from a friend at work. I plan on getting the appropriate heaters/filters/plants in the next few weeks.
My question is, what sort of fish would be suitable to put with my new Betta? I loved the breed and definitely want another one, but with a tank so big I would not mind putting in some other little fishies! Suggestions/Comments?Concerns?
DevonGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 
Ghost0741

Pakistani Loaches(they school minimum of 3 recommended)
Ghost Shrimp, Zebra Snails, Bristlenose Pleckos(Be careful of the time when the Plecko grows to the point and is large), Neon tetras, African Dwarf Frogs.

I take no credit for the above list, I got it from this site:http://www.squidoo.com/tankmates

Last edited by Ghost0741; 12-12-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Ghost0741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

You could probably have a school of fish (at least 5 tetras, danios, rasboras, or cherry barbs, for example), a shoal (3) of bottom feeders like Julii Cories or Oto Cats, which are both super cute; a bunch of ghost shrimp or red cherry shrimp, and a snail (nerite, apple, mystery, malaysian trumpet, or assassin)

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 12-13-2012 at 01:10 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #4 
Sanguinefox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost0741 View Post
Pakistani Loaches(they school minimum of 3 recommended)
Ghost Shrimp, Zebra Snails, Bristlenose Pleckos(Be careful of the time when the Plecko grows to the point and is large), Neon tetras, African Dwarf Frogs.

I take no credit for the above list, I got it from this site:http://www.squidoo.com/tankmates
The species loach you suggested is not a fish that can live long term in 20 gallon tank. They get to be 5" long (sometimes even longer) and require much more space due to their highly active nature. So I highly caution against that.

Another issue I see here is with the Bristlenose. All plecos put out a ton of waste into the water which would require some really good filtration for the 20 gallon. That kind of filtration may not be comfortable for the betta.

Now as per the OP I can only reference what I have had success keeping a betta with. Keep in mind it really depends on the betta to begin with as per if he/she will put up with tank mates to begin with. Various smaller species of Rasbora (such as the Harlequin and Galaxy) can do well in a group of 8 (wouldn't go more than that) and are an appropriate tank mate.

Last edited by Sanguinefox; 12-13-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote