Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #1 
NightCrawler

white growth on betta?

I got my crowntail betta from a pet store about 2 weeks ago, I noticed this white wavy growth on the top of his fin I don't know what it is? the tank is small to medium but filtered and the temperature is ideal and I tend to clean it every week. I'll add images and maybe you can identify it I don't know if it's ich or some other fungus and I hope it isn't either. Thanks for answering..
Attached Images

NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #2 
shellieca

Small to medium means how many gallons? Tend to clean it every week means you do or don't? Temperature is ideal means the temp is what exactly? The pics are kind of blurry so it's hard to see, but based on what I'm seeing it looks like new fin growth but a better more clear pic would help. New tank set ups with a filter will go through a cycling phase & it's important to test the water with a liquid water test kit for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates & then do water changes as necessary. If you're not going to test the water daily frequent, every other day usually, water changes are required.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #3 
NightCrawler

It's a 5 gallon tank, I use a betta heating pad underneath the tank and with an air-pump filtration. I clean the tank every weekend on sundays. Here some clear photoes it's difficult taking shots because he keeps swimming away. I'll also show you the tank setup.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #4 
NightCrawler

sorry my measurements were incorrect the tank would be around 3 to 4 gallons.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #5 
shellieca

Thank you for the additional information. 1st I would get a thermometer to see what the actual temp of the tank is. I have not used the heating pad you have so I don't know how reliable they are to keep the tank 76-80F which is where it should be. The 2nd set of pics shows his fin much better, but its still a little difficult to tell if its his fin shredded or there's a fungus on it. If he were mine I would do water changes every other day & maybe add some aq salt. If after 2-3 days I didn't see ANY improvement or it got worse then I'd look at possibly using meds. IME, keeping the water warm, conditioned & clean heals up most things. Lastly I would add a few more plants (real or silk) & some caves for him.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich fungus growth