Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 
Mashiro

StressZyme for 2.5 gal tanks and under?

Would it be a good idea to use API's StressZyme on a 2.5 gallon tank or a 1 gallon tank to increase the good bacteria?

I heard somewhere that these tanks are too small to create a bacterial filter.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 
Phaydra

I think one of the best arguments against bottled bacteria I have heard was most of the time the conditions it is shipped or stored in kills the BB off in the bottle.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #3 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
I think one of the best arguments against bottled bacteria I have heard was most of the time the conditions it is shipped or stored in kills the BB off in the bottle.
Yep this. I wouldn't trust API to be able to deliver live bacteria. There are some companies that can pull it off, but API bottles sit around for months before they even make it to the sales floor.

I do think that it's possible to cycle a 2 gallon tank, but I wouldn't introduce bottled BB to it. I would use filter media from another tank or just let it happen naturally.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #4 
Mashiro

Now what say if I put a small plant in the 2.5 gallon? What would that do to the cycle?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #5 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
Now what say if I put a small plant in the 2.5 gallon? What would that do to the cycle?
It would help buffer it a little bit, protecting against ammonia spikes. I'm not sure how much a single plant would really do, but if you want to put several plants in you can expect a silent cycle. No harm to fish that way, so you could add the fish and plants right away.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #6 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
It would help buffer it a little bit, protecting against ammonia spikes. I'm not sure how much a single plant would really do, but if you want to put several plants in you can expect a silent cycle. No harm to fish that way, so you could add the fish and plants right away.
What kind of plants and how many do you recommend for a 2.5 gallon with a 10 watt fluorescent compact light?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #7 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
What kind of plants and how many do you recommend for a 2.5 gallon with a 10 watt fluorescent compact light?
In my 3 gal I have 7-8 anacharis stems that are about 6 inches long, and then otherwise I just keep my little clippings in there to grow. Usually I have 5-6 tiny anubias and java fern plants in there too. Those should all do fine with your light.