Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Tips to deal with a tailbiter

Eros is just slowly shredding his tail, it heals but then he shreds it again, been wondering if you guys have any tips to help me deal with this and avoid infection and leading to fin rot or something.

:)

so far:

Reduced lighting
Removed shrimp
Make sure he gets some flaring excercise

Last edited by asukabetta; 12-04-2012 at 11:19 AM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #2 
Hershey

API stress coat?
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #3 
DragonFish

There are a lot of things that can lead to tail-biting....and sometimes its just chronic, they just do it because they don't like their heavy fins.

So the first thing to do when you notice biting is start going through all the possible reasons and start changing things, like it sounds like you're doing. Reduce/remove lights, remove tank mates, remove/add/change/or don't change decor and plants, baffle/remove filtration, if possible try a smaller/larger space for him......ANYTHING that might possibly cause some kind of stress or issue, address it. I've even had boys that shredded up their tails if I missed a day of feeding. Thats the only way to know for sure if its some weird little cause that you can eliminate or if he is just a chronic biter.

Regardless of the cause, the very best treatment for a tail-biter is really nothing significant. Don't use salts unless you notice some actual fin-rot setting in, they can be harmful long-term so especially if hes a chronic biter salts are really only a temporary solution. Its best to just be diligent with your water changes.....nothing extra, just don't put them off or be late if you can help it....and keep things nice and clean and warm to help prevent any infection from setting in.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #4 
Laki

Dragon is right.
My old VT, Lakitu never stopped biting in his lifetime regardless of what I changed or didn't change.
Current VT, Ludendorff, stopped biting when I divided the tank and gave him a tank mate (Bowser) to flare with across the divider.
So I have limited experience but reading up on it, clutter the tank with soft silky plants and give him a cave and hammock. Give him something to do, like exercise him with a mirror or point a pen at him, or let him swim between your fingers, or make him jump or work for his food.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 
asukabetta

I had to fast Eros two times because he nommed on the algae wafer, next day he bit a chunk off his fin Q_Q

moved decor, pulled out some to increase space.

So far he's interested in the change.

Most of the biting happens over night though
Old 12-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Well just keep at it, try a little change in everything to see if you can hit that sweet spot where things are just how your guy likes them. They can sometimes just be such fussy little things....xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Well just keep at it, try a little change in everything to see if you can hit that sweet spot where things are just how your guy likes them. They can sometimes just be such fussy little things....xD
thanks XD I've never had a betta act all fussy and prince/spoiled like. He has me wrapped around his fin lol.

I was thinking of trying to move him to a smaller tank if it doesnt improve to see if that does the trick. Also was thinking of getting a female (NOT FOR BREEDING) but just because I find them adorable, and it would be nice to have a SHE for once XD Perhaps I could put her near his tank to perhaps keep him distracted from his tail.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #8 
carbonxxkidd

I'm having a similar problem. Do you know if it started right after you added the shrimp? I just added shrimp to my tank last week, and now Tooms (in my avatar) has started biting off his tail. It's not real bad yet, but noticeable. I have no where else to put the shrimp and I really like them so I'm kind of hoping he will just get used to them - he leaves them alone except for constantly stealing their food, and they are so cute!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote