Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #11 
Leopardfire

I'll get a better nitrate/nitrite kit since I only have the general strings and start daily tests on my water. Do nitrites just show up 1 day or is it gradual?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #12 
shellieca
Reference Team

Mine just appeared & then just disappeared. My 10g had them for 2 wks but I did a fish IN cycle.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #13 
Leopardfire

I added 1/8 tsp of 10% ammonia to my 20 gallon since it had sunk down to 0.5ppm. Today I tested it and it was close to 0. There were 0 nitrites when I tested a few days ago, so what happened to the ammonia? I only have 3 tiny plants so I don't think they got rid of the ammonia that quickly. Do you think my kit is broken?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #14 
shellieca
Reference Team

That's good its processing ammonia that well. As for nitrites, I can't explain that other than as I stated previously I have heard of people never seeing nitrites especially when using a bacteria booster. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The main thing is the ammonia zeroing out in 24 hrs. If it does that & you still have zero nitrites for a week or so I'd say you're cycled.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #15 
Leopardfire

I put more ammonia in and I will test what happens tomorrow. Maybe the tank really is starting to cycle. Also, are general API test strips a reliable way to test for nitrites? Should I get a test kit instead?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #16 
shellieca
Reference Team

A liquid test kit is more expensive up front but you'll get 100's of tests out of it so in the long run it saves you money. I bought mine in July & the only test I've recently replaced is the nitrates test. I was cycling 2 tanks at once & doing daily testing. The strips are less accurate & there are only 30 strips. The kit is cheaper if you get it online.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #17 
Leopardfire

Does the kit test for nitrates and nitrites or are they separate kits?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #18 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you purchase the API Master Freshwater test kit it'll have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & Ph liquid tests plus the test tubes. Everything you need for testing your water. Amazon has them for around $19 if I remember correctly.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #19 
Leopardfire

Thanks, I'll probably get it this weekend. Also, what should I do if my 10 gallon still hasn't started cycling after 2 weeks?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good advice from Shellie, Lebron and Callistra.

Cycling two tanks at once is inefficient. You can cycle both filters in the 20g. That way you can run the ammonia up to ~4.0ppm, heat ~82*, lot's of filter flow and aeration. When that tankl is cycled, the extra filter will be cycled. Put it in your 10g and the tank will be effectively cycled. Get it?

Nitrite is funny. Sometimes you don't read any; sometimes you can't get rid of it. Monitoring your nitrate will give you a view into the progress of your cycle.

Use this: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354771118&sr=8-1&keywords=API+test]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]
Sorry, the price just went up, but it's still a deal. (Put a pebble in the #2 nitrate bottle for better mixing.)

If you're' getting ammonia reduction after only a week, you're doing really well. It's not uncommon for it to take several weeks even with Safestart or equivalent. The few plants you have will make no difference.

Keep your nitrite (when you get it) <5.0 and your nitrite <40ppm to keep from stalling. When you get high nitrite, do a 50% wc and cut your ammonia dose in half.

When your system (tank/filter) can reduce ammonia from 2.0ppm to 0.0ppm in a day or so, two times in a row, you're cycled. (That's when you install the other cycled filter in the other tank.) Do a large water change to cut nitrite and add stock. Perform weekly 30% to 50% pwc’s from then on. Monitor closely for the first couple of months.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, no nitrites, speed up, stalled