Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #1 
SarahWilli221

First betta in a long time!

Hello all! I am new to this site! My name is Sarah, and I have kept aquariums for about 7 years. I have always loved bettas, but I haven't owned one in a long time. In the past month, I lost both my 13-year-old golden retriever and my 17-year-old cat. It has been devastating, but I realized I HAVE to have some life in my home... so, this past Wednesday I purchased a betta! I had restarted an old 5 gallon Eclipse tank and headed out to Petco. The Petco in my area is fairly nice. Most of their bettas looked to be in good condition.
I have always wanted a mustard gas betta, so when I saw this fella I knew I had to have him. He's a double tail who was originally marked as $10, but he had a little red sticker on his cup saying "2.99." On the receipt, the reason for the discount is labeled as "Length of stay." Poor fella must have been there for too long!

Here are some pics of when I brought him home & the next day. I don't think he's a true mustard gas, but I think he is to some capacity. One side of him is greener/more copper colored while the other is more blue.
It has been so relaxing to have a new friend in the house. I love to sit at my desk and watch him swim!
Attached Images

Last edited by SarahWilli221; 07-19-2014 at 02:06 PM.
SarahWilli221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

He is a double tail "mustard gas" (you're right he isn't a true MG but very few MGs are true MGs) he's a very pretty boy, If you have any questions feel free to ask. General advice:
Make sure he has lots of places to hide in his tank
Make sure to do weekly 60% changes and vacuum gravel (assuming you have a filter, if not weekly 100%s)
Make sure you have AQ salt in the house as it can be used to treat most diseases

Also welcome to the forum!
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #3 
rpadgett37

What a gorgeous fish. I love his coloration. They will only intensify with proper care.
rpadgett37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #4 
SarahWilli221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
He is a double tail "mustard gas" (you're right he isn't a true MG but very few MGs are true MGs) he's a very pretty boy, If you have any questions feel free to ask. General advice:
Make sure he has lots of places to hide in his tank
Make sure to do weekly 60% changes and vacuum gravel (assuming you have a filter, if not weekly 100%s)
Make sure you have AQ salt in the house as it can be used to treat most diseases

Also welcome to the forum!
Thank you!!
What would you suggest for food? I'm a beginner as far as branching out into other types of food besides pellets and flakes.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #5 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

You want either omega and or new life spectrum pellets with frozen bloodworms as treats.
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #6 
SarahWilli221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
You want either omega and or new life spectrum pellets with frozen bloodworms as treats.
Thank you!!
Old 07-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #7 
myexplodingcat

Wow, he's gorgeous! My first boy since childhood is a sort-of MG, too! I can't believe he'd stay that long in your store for how beautiful he is :o

Did he come with plants in his cup? That's unusual if he did, like they're actually taking care of their bettas (!).
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #8 
SarahWilli221

Quote:
Originally Posted by myexplodingcat View Post
Wow, he's gorgeous! My first boy since childhood is a sort-of MG, too! I can't believe he'd stay that long in your store for how beautiful he is :o

Did he come with plants in his cup? That's unusual if he did, like they're actually taking care of their bettas (!).
Thank you! Yeah, he had a little sprig of a live plant in his cup! The Petco near me is pretty small, so hopefully that motivates them to take care of their bettas or else they wouldn't have much to do! haha
Old 07-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #9 
PanActress

Awww! I'm glad to hear he has a happy ending with you. It's hard to think of the length of time some of those bettas live in those cups. Hopefully he colors up really brightly for you!
PanActress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #10 
SarahWilli221

Here he is today! I think he is doing well!
Attached Images