Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Adding prime as the new water is being poured in:

On the Prime bottle it says you can add it directly to the aquarium, but it's better to add to new water first. Do they just say that to cover their butts? Because I was thinking about getting a Python and I wanted to make sure it was safe to add prime as it is filling the aquarium...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Personally I add the conditioner to the water before adding it to the tank because I don't want to risk any chlorine or chloramines harming my fish, even for a few seconds. At least I have read that it is possible that even brief exposure to it can be harmful and that's probably why it says it's better to add it to the water before putting in the tank.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #3 
aemaki09

I dont know if its right or not, but in my big tanks i always wait till they are filled to add conditioner, or put the conditioner in the bucket before I pour it in occasionally. Its kinda a lose lose situation, if you add it first, you are over-using it till the rest of the water is in, and if you wait your fish are exposed to chlorine..
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #4 
JAGalletta

I add the conditioner to my change water prior to adding it to the tank and my reasoning is as follows:

Although chlorine/chloramides may be harmful to fish, they will not do any damage to fish over the short duration it takes to condition your water after a water change. However, many of the members of this forum will tell you that a cycled tank is the way to go. Cycled tanks depend on the development and growth of live bacteria. Chlorine and/or chloramides are added to tap water to fight the very bacteria that we strive so hard to keep alive. Therefore, even if the damage done to your bacterial colonies is small, adding the conditioner to the water before it's added to the tank, as opposed to adding a water conditioner after a water change, will eliminate the risk of killing the beneficial bacteria in your tank with chlorine/chloramides.

In response to the comment on "over using" because of adding conditioner prior, consider this example: If you condition only the new water going into your tank, say 5 gallons going into a 10 gallon tank, then you're only using 5 gallons worth of conditioner. On the other hand, if you add the conditioner after the water has been added to the tank, you will now be treating 10 gallons of water and using 10 gallons worth of conditioner. -- This is not to say that 5 gallons worth of conditioner couldn't handle the chlorine/chloramides and/or heavy metals in the 5 new gallons, but it may not be properly dispersed throughout the 10 gallon tank to neutralize these chemicals properly, so you will need to use 10 gallons worth of conditioner, and therefore be "over using" because of adding it after the water change.

Last edited by JAGalletta; 12-05-2012 at 06:22 AM.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

For my big tank I put the conditioner in the tank and then add new water in after. That's what people normally do as far as I'm aware.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #6 
JAGalletta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
For my big tank I put the conditioner in the tank and then add new water in after. That's what people normally do as far as I'm aware.
Posted via Mobile Device
That makes sense.

Does anyone use the gravel vacuum to put water back into the tank?? I do - I use a 5gal bucket and just elevate it on a shelf or a stack of books near my tank, and siphon the water back into the tank - this ends up being much more gentle than pouring the water in, and doesn't disturb the gravel, plants, or decor.

Last edited by JAGalletta; 12-05-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Very good information to know (about the BB being killed)! I've never thought about that. Thank you :)

And yes, I use the siphon to put water back into the tank. I do it because it doesn't dusturb the subtrate or decor as muh as pouring it in. My fish don't seem to stress if I just pour it in, though :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #8 
JAGalletta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Very good information to know (about the BB being killed)! I've never thought about that. Thank you :)
This is just my theory... and the only reason I say it is because that's the reason it's in tap water in the first place. There may or may not be fact in that reasoning. I also used to just pour the water in, but it would uproot my plants, so I decided against it.

Here's an article about how chlorine works to add some scientific value to this discussion...

Scientific American

Last edited by JAGalletta; 12-05-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #9 
registereduser

I have a 3 gallon bucket that I fill at my kitchen sink. I add the drops as I am filling the bucket to make sure it is all mixed together before I pour the bucket into the tanks.

I don't have anything bigger than a 20 gallon right now but I don't plan on doing anything different when I get the 30 gallon set up.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

I use a Python for my 46g. I add my Prime & ferts directly to the tank, dosing for the full size of the tank, BEFORE adding new water. Never had a problem. I unplug ALL electrical devises; heater, filter, light & leave the filter unplugged for 5 or so minutes after the tank has been refilled.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote