Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #1 
CowGirlBetta

Mr. Fishy Emergency

I'm the proud owner of a Crown Tail Betta and a Half Moon Betta. I'm a teacher at a school that recently decided to get a betta (pretty sure half moon). After about a month of having it (and against all my advising) the head teachers decided to get a gold fish and put it into the tank to 'see what happens'. For a week we thought the betta had died and had just been taken out by another teacher. My kids found the betta at the bottom of the tank today, chilling out, and barely breathing. His entire back fin except for thin line has been chewed off by the gold fish and it's left fin has been chewed off. There are still enough of a nub of both that I believe they will grow back given enough time. I've taken Mister Fishy (named by the kids) home with me and is in an emergency bowl that I had. He can't swim much and just lays at the bottom of the bowl. I need advice on how to keep him alive long enough for his fin to regrow so he can begin swimming again.

Edit: He's also lost a lot of coloring that I would contribute to his submissiveness towards this gold fish (man I hate gold fish...)
Attached Images

Last edited by CowGirlBetta; 12-05-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: More info
CowGirlBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

The color loss is due to stress. First of all, get him clean, warm water (78-80 degrees F).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #3 
CowGirlBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
The color loss is due to stress. First of all, get him clean, warm water (78-80 degrees F).
He's in clean warm water with betta fix and betta water. The flecks you see at the top are betta food because the teachers haven't fed the poor thing the right food in over a week because they thought he was dead. I can't put a heater in it because I can't afford another one.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

He's most likely too stressed to eat. He will not die because of not having eaten in over a week. They can survive a pretty long time without food.

Personally, I would chuck the betta fix and get stress coat as your water conditioner, and treat him with 1tsp/gal of pre-dissolved aquarium salt, and try to keep his water temp as warm as you can.

Keep him in a quiet, darkened room to reduce the stress. Is he in a cup? It's a good idea to also add some kind of decor for him to hide in or under. Make sure he can reach the water surface.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #5 
CowGirlBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
He's most likely too stressed to eat. He will not die because of not having eaten in over a week. They can survive a pretty long time without food.

Personally, I would chuck the betta fix and get stress coat as your water conditioner, and treat him with 1tsp/gal of pre-dissolved aquarium salt, and try to keep his water temp as warm as you can.

Keep him in a quiet, darkened room to reduce the stress. Is he in a cup? It's a good idea to also add some kind of decor for him to hide in or under. Make sure he can reach the water surface.
He's in a mixing bowl I had handy because I can't afford any actual kind of tank. I'll lower water level in the morning but the problem is that unless I touch him he won't swim anywhere, let alone the top. I'll look into the stress coat. Betta fix is what I have for my crown tail as he gets parasites frequently.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Stress Coat is just a water conditioner. You should be using water conditioner every time you change the water. Be sure the mixing bowl doesn't have any soap residue on it. Bettafix contains tea tree oil which damages the labyrinth organ.
He may get parasites often because his immune system has been lowered.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #7 
Butterfly

Ayala, can't stresscoat be used to help fin injuries? It just says on the bottle to double the dose.
I used AQ salt (1.5tsp for 1/2 gallon) to treat Fred's parasites.

I'd put double the dose of stresscoat in and put him in a room where the temperature is constant and it's not too bright. If you can't do that maybe you can get something like a box and insulation stuff+heat pack to keep the temperature warmer? (if it's cold where you live). Heh I would cull the goldfish and not bring the betta back...just say he passed. That is so irresponsible and sad :( (putting goldfish and betta together) :(

If you can't get him to eat pellets, could you get your hands on some live food? like Daphnia?

Best of luck, He looks more like a veiltail? But I'm quite the betta n00b so.. xD
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes, stresscoat is used for injuries such as these which is why I recommended it. I just wanted to make sure to add that it is a water conditioner so she knew what to look for.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #9 
Butterfly

Oh, okay, gotcha :) I was just confused xD
Keep us updated with mr fishy! He sounds like a fighter if he can still be alive after being put through goldfish massacre. I'm sure the kids would also like to know(see pictures and whatnot) :)

Definitely put in aq salt as a precautionary measure for fin rot...Is it just me or do the edges look curious?
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

AQ salt will help any kind of external injury or external parasites, etc.. Epsom salt is for internal problems. So the AQ salt should help the fins grow back regardless, and the stress coat will also help.

Tags
fin biting, fin eating, fin regrowth, goldfish