Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Found driftwood.

So I need to get some driftwood ASAP, I have plants coming in tomorrow that I need to tie to some. BUT problem is, last week I had won an auction on aquabid for a piece and the seller never got back to me. I cant just sit around for another week and wait hoping he'll reply to my many messages.
Anyways, since that fell through, and I havent noticed any driftwood in my local stores, or atleast pieces that are a decent price. So I plan to go to the creek that runs close to my house to find a piece tomorrow.
So, how would I go about preparing it? I know you are supposed to boil, but I live with my parents at the moment and I know that they wont let me boil wood on their stove, and also, it'll probably be too big to boil, any other options that will get it ready fairly fast?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #2 
babystarz

I think boiling is the only quick way to do it unfortunately. If you soaked it in a bleach solution you would still need to let it soak in pure water for a few days for the bleach to get out, then leave it in direct sunlight for 24 hours just to make sure.

I suppose you could always build yourself a campfire and boil it outside?
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #3 
aemaki09

I just went to Petsmart and found the kind they have for turtles, would that be okay after I sand it down?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #4 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I just went to Petsmart and found the kind they have for turtles, would that be okay after I sand it down?
Yes that would work, just spray it down with some vinegar water and rinse it off. Then put it in non-dechlorinated water for a couple of hours and then add it to your tank. It could release a lot of tannins depending on what kind of wood it is if you don't pre-soak it for 2 weeks so be prepared for that.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 
sandybottom
Reference Team

will they let you put it in a plastic tub and pour boiling water onto it? soak for 15 mnis, repeat alot.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #6 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
will they let you put it in a plastic tub and pour boiling water onto it? soak for 15 mnis, repeat alot.
Yeah I can do that. They are just clean freaks and anything that doesn't belong in a humans mouth shouldn't be in the kitchen haha, but yeah, I could put it into a bucket or something outside.

I feel like a little kid having to ask my parents permission to do things. I moved out for 5 years and last year had to move home because of a divorce, it sucks to have all that freedom only to get treated like a child again
Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #7 
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I feel like a little kid having to ask my parents permission to do things. I moved out for 5 years and last year had to move home because of a divorce, it sucks to have all that freedom only to get treated like a child again
you were married and had freedom,you are 1 lucky guy!!! im considering moving back home with my parents to get some freedom :)
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #8 
mikylarsen

To OP. You could also let the plants float in the tank until the driftwood arrives.
mikylarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #9 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
you were married and had freedom,you are 1 lucky guy!!! im considering moving back home with my parents to get some freedom :)
Haha he was never home.

And the driftwood seller on AB never got back to me do I had to blackout, and I don't feel like letting it float for weeks or month before I find another piece for a good price.

I'm on my way to buy the piece at PetsmArt right now
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #10 
sandybottom
Reference Team

be careful with that boiling water. i had to do this process over a couple days. remember to completely cool the wood before attempting to put it in the tank. you may still leach tannins for quite some time. these can be filtered out using purigen. i like the tannic water as it softens the harshness of my led lights. mopani has alot of tannic acid in it. on the other hand, some driftwood hardly tints the water.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote