Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #1 
Chuckee

Lightbulb D.I.Y BuBBleS!

I've been thinking of trying to DIY a bubbler.
I have airline tubing, which was originally bought for siphoning, but I found that most of my fish-homes can be more easily vacc'ed with a simple turkey baster. Besides, there's more than plenty to cut a length to siphon the one "bowl" which is too tall for the baster, and still have some left over.
I also acquired a cheap pump, and have been using it for my plant tank, which has been shang-hai'd into service for guppy and platy fry (The guppies are feeders... The platies were a sexing accident)

Sooo.... I'd appreciate feedback.
First, my idea was to quarter a PVC pipe lengthwise, and then drill some small holes in it at "random"
Step two would be to take the length of airline tubing and poke a few holes in it, too. Then I'd wrap it in some sponge.
I'd want to glue the PVC into one of the corners of the tank, but can't decide whether or not it would be better to do this before stuffing the airline tubing & sponge into it, or should I glue the whole thing together?
Also, how convenient/inconvenient might it be to try to make a decoration out of it?

Another idea I had was to just stuff some sponge inside a false rock decoration that I picked up for 60cents. It's hollow, and already has a cracks and couple of holes where it appears there used to be fake plants, and I can always poke a few more.
Then I'd drill a hole at the base and shove some tubing in it.

I need to know if I can get away with just sponge for bubbles, or if I need to use air-stones. I'd rather not, just out of convenience.
Also, how might this affect my plants and water temp?
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #2 
Chuckee

And is there a way to get less bubbles out of this... Most bubblers just do too much, and my fish don't appear to like it much
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstone, bubblers, decor, diy