Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #11 
vivien

normal were about 2mm his are about half a mm. and i know that which is why i thought he'd eat them! i even tried to crush the worms a bit but nothing. so im not sure if hes just a fussy pain in the butt or what?! and i havent tried frozen yet and im worried ill over feed and have another ammonia spike, so im waiting until im sure my method of cleaning his tank it correct
vivien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #12 
Phaydra

If he is fussy or you want to feed him some without over feeding I have soaked pellets in the water from thawed frozen foods. Red is my problem child and when I first got him he turned his nose up at anything that wasn't a pellet. After a few feedings of soaked pellets he took to the frozen foods.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

You can also use garlic juice to entice mr picky to eat :)
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #14 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
You can also use garlic juice to entice mr picky to eat :)
Unless he's so picky he turns his nose up at garlic. hehe Sena is right though most fish love the smell of garlic. Try it all and see what works best for your little problem child.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #15 
vivien

great idea! will try that soon, ive had the filter off since this morning, and hes flaring a bit more giving me a chance to see his fins properly and i think they are doing better than i thought! :):) so happy

by over feed you just mean feeding him more than he'll eat right? i always thought they dont over eats like dogs will haha
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #16 
Phaydra

They will over eat like a dog. Plus all that extra foods they don't eat sinks and raises ammonia levels. Generally you don't feed them food like worms and shrimp enough to make too big a mess. It's just a suggestion if he turns out to be super picky. He may take to frozen food like a duck(fish) to water
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #17 
vivien

i use a syringe to clean out anything uneat since that cause an ammonia spike before. it sure as hell is not happening again.

and wow i thought they didnt okay then, how to i know when he has eaten enough and just being a pig?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #18 
Phaydra

I am in the firm belief all Bettas have a pig in their family tree. A fish's eye is as big as their stomach. I feed my Bettas Hikari pellets because they are small. I recommend 2 in the morning, 2 at lunch, and 2 at dinner time. If you buy a larger pellet type like TetraBetta I only feed those 1 in the morning, 1 at lunch and 1 at night. If you see your boy starting to getting a potbelly cut back. As they get older or less active too you may want to cut back. Red is 3 and is down to 1 pellet per meal of the Hikari. He naps a lot so burns less calories.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #19 
vivien

how big are those, because mine are tiny like 1/2 - 1 mm diamitior and he eats loads, the packet says as much as he eats in a few mins without left overs. he might eat 20-30 a day, i clearly need to cut back
Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #20 
Phaydra

Wow lol he is a little piggy.

Hikari pellet