Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 
betta fan21

my dad's explaination on why he doesn't feel bad about betta neglect.

hi! i haven't been on in ages, and i recently asked my dad why he didn't feel bad for those little bettas in the cups at walmart.
he said that betta fish are incapable of learning anything except for where their food is. and that they have no cerebal cortex. therefore, they can't feel pain. does this justify the abuse these wonderful fish go through?!
betta fan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #2 
DragonFyre14

I don't think so..Betta's are actually really smart. There are a couple members on her who have taught them to respond to their name, jump through hoops, and a couple other cool tricks. How they were able to do these things I have no idea.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #3 
horsyqueen

Fish are scientifically proven to be intelligent. Goldfish can have a memory of over a year I think but I don't know what a betta fishes memory is. Fish can remeber tricks, who feeds them and all sorts of things.
horsyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #4 
betta fan21

He said that they learn tose tricks because they are ways to get food, nothing more.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #5 
horsyqueen

But thats intelligence because they are going to get food. Why does a child be good around Christmas? because their parents say if they are good they will get presents form Santa. (Thats the only example that came into my head)
horsyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #6 
meiperfectneina19

Getting food is a way of training pretty much any animal (and I am sure it can be used for people too). Training is a way of learning.
meiperfectneina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #7 
DragonFyre14

Dogs are the same way though. At first the only reason they do a trick is because they are rewarded by food. And like Bettas, if you have them keep doing the trick but slowly stop giving them food for doing it, they'll continue to do it.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #8 
twolovers101

I *think* bettas have a 6 month memory, but I could be wrong.

Bettas are very intelligent inquisitive creatures and each has their own unique personality. My boy, for example is flare-happy but non-aggressive and placid towards the shrimps he lives with. (He also thinks he's the prettiest thing in the world and is a show-off).

Yes, it's true you can condition a betta to do trick for food, but you do the same with dogs, cats, and even humans are conditioned and can be conditioned to respond to certain things (I know people who have conditioned their roommates with popcorn).

Also, bettas can, and do, feel pain. Why do you think they thrash about when they're out of water and suffocating, or clamp their fins when they're sick? They can feel it, and don't like it one bit.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #9 
betta fan21

i agree with you guys completely, and i still can't get over the gorgeous crowntail i saw at walmart the other day, but he said fish are creatures of instinct, while dogs are creatures of habit. DX
Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #10 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta fan21 View Post
hi! i haven't been on in ages, and i recently asked my dad why he didn't feel bad for those little bettas in the cups at walmart.
he said that betta fish are incapable of learning anything except for where their food is. and that they have no cerebal cortex. therefore, they can't feel pain. does this justify the abuse these wonderful fish go through?!
I think your father is lacking a cerebral cortex if doesn't think there is even a little suffering involved.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote