Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #1 
sareena79

HEATER ADVICE (please)

Ok..so heres the deal. I have been using an under-tank reptile mat to heat my 2g betta tank (well bowl/vase) and it has worked really well up till this point, but now that the weather is getting considerably cooler its not keeping his water at the temp I would like. obviously it better than nothing but I want him to be warm this winter. I purchased a 25w adjustable heater via ebay but didnt realize till after my purchase that it would require a power converter (since it was 220v and my outlets are only 110v) so I purchased the appropriate converter (husband is an industrial electrician so I know I got the right thing) and when I went to use the heater yesterday the converter was very hot to the touch and giving off a strong odor so I unplugged both and put the heat mat back under the tank. One user said she had the same heater and just used it w/o the converter but I ran that by the hubby and he said NO WAY which was kinda what I was thinking too...I emailed the people I bought the heater and converter from and Im HOPING I can get SOME sort of refund from one or both of them but Im sure its gonna cost me more to ship them back then I paid so Im pretty much out that $$$$....
ANYWAY long story short (or long story long lol) Im in need of a good heater that is SMALL enough to fit in Sushi's little house and Im hoping that since Im already out the money for the other stuff I can find one thats a decent price too (like under $20) so if any of u have something u recommend then please post a link for me. Im hoping to have him something before I head out of town for christmas...
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #2 
sareena79

I was thinking maybe this one.... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...tid=11368&s=lh
Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #3 
registereduser

anything adjustable is best IMO
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 
SinX7

Get adjustable. Worth the extra money! And you won't have to think if those pre-set is going to boil your fish. The Hydor and Eheim are good.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #5 
sareena79

yeah I definitely wanted an adjustable one...just wondering if anyone had a particular one they strongly recommended that was under $20
Old 11-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #6 
SinX7

I think Amazon have the Hydor for $20ish.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #7 
sareena79

Fosters and Smith have it for $16.09 plus shipping which comes out to right around $20 so I will probably just go with with that one...wish I could find one that was for a nano-sized tank (like less than 5in long) though...oh well guess all that matters is hes warm and my house doesnt burn down from using a cheapy foreign one lol. Ima think on it and probably make a decision in the next day or so. hopefully by then someone can suggest a SMALLER adjustable option
Old 11-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #8 
tromboneplaya

I just got the hydor one for my 2.5 gallon tank and it's the best! the nonadjustable one I had before just sucked....almost made a fish filet out my little Fievel. I would def go with the hydor one from foster and smith because it's def cheaper than it is on amazon!
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #9 
sareena79

I still just LOVE your fish's name :) I used to have a giant stuffed Fievel as a kid and I carried that thing EVERYWHERE...and thanks for the advice Im pretty sure thats the one Ima get...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #10 
tromboneplaya

Haha thanks! I named him that because I had memories of watching An American Tail at my Grandma's house and I wanted to stick to my F name theme....just made sense lol
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote