Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #1 
Mermaid

PLEASE HELP random red tip on fins,and possible fungus????

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76 F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one betta buffet pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? a lil twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? been twice a week haven't had him any longer
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? one 50 percent and one over 50 percent maybe 70 percent.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? only water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: no ammonia don't know the rest now
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

I don't know how old the fish is. I got him only a week and acouple days ago or so?? Maybe less than a year old? Only problems I was aware of were he came with a lil hole in his fins and developed two to three more. Some healed and you can still see 2 medium holes and one tiny hole. He has a round hole on his dorsal fin and two slit-like holes in his tail. They seemed to be healing or not rotting or getting worse. Was considering salting him but decided against it.
Now this morning first thing I notice random bloody red tip on one or two tips of his bottom dorsal fin! Not very big but definitely noticed it. I don't know what it is! He does have a deep red on certain parts of him but he never had any here I'm positive and it's bright blood red! I examined him and the tank then and maybe it's just dust but it looks like little teeny white/gray fuzz on ornament and silk plants. Fungus? I can't get a pic where you can see it, it's like teeny layer of dust on stuff. Didn't notice before. Random red spot on tips of fin? I don't see anything on him. He is black and silver though hard to tell. :( I really am freaked out now I've never seen blood red tips? Is he bleeding, fin rotting, or am I freaking out for nothing and his color changed from black to red (though i have a feeling it's not the last)?? He is acting completely normal and happy active hungry. Just the blood red tip and now white stuff in tank I noticed. I am clueless and veryyyyyy worried now. pleasseeee help!!!
Attached Images

Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #2 
Mermaid

These are the best pics i could take you can see on his top dorsal fin the red spot
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't think it's fungus. It's some type of damage, though, yes. The fuzzy stuff you are seeing on your decor is probably slime mold which is common in new aquariums but is harmless to the fish. I'm battling it in one of my tanks, still. You can take out the decor and scrub it off then replace it, but it isn't harmful, just ugly.

I would treat him with AQ salt and some stress coat. You should use about 1tsp of AQ salt, predissolved, added slowly for no longer than 14 days. Watch him and see if his fins start to heal within the week.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #4 
Mermaid

thankyou so much will do
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #5 
Mermaid

okay so completely wiped everything off and rinsed with hot water did 100 percent change. Then added 1 tsp/gallon salt. will get stress coat don't have it today. And even though i totally cleaned everything really well now the white fuzz isn't covering everything but theres acouple puffs of white-ish gray-ish fluff on bottom of tank. So it's lilke a slime mold or normal when cycling or for new tanks? Also I remembered my fish got into the filter comparment the other day so that may have caused the injury although his fin wasn't red the day he did that?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

It likely caused the injury... They get infected easily after they have injured their fins..

The slime mold might come back as it often does. Next time, I would just take out and scrub whatever decor it is on. It just prevents it from spreading to the rest of the tank. Scrubbing everything can hurt the cycle but in a 2 gallon the cycle can be unstable so you will need twice weekly water changes, anyways. Do you use a siphon?

See if his fins start looking better with the AQ salt. Do daily 50% changes and add 1tsp... The salt will stay in there until you remove it so if you remove 1 gallon you will need to replace it with water treated at 1tsp per gallon of AQ salt (I think I made that more complicated than necessary, lol). Keep the water clean to help it heal and prevent more infection..
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #7 
Mermaid

no siphon no substrate. I use turkey bastor and airline tubing. thanks. I just wanted to confirm that it seems okay that the fuzz in now in balls or fluffs on the bottom and that you still think it's slime mold?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #8 
Mermaid

thanks for the info on the water changes too. I was wondering if I should do daily 100 percent or what. And I'll try to use turkey baster for the fluffs and wipe off plants and stuff as it gets the white-ish gray-ish stuff.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

The slime mold in my tank often breaks off and floats around the tank, but since I have substrate I wouldn't see it if it sank to the bottom... You really don't need 100%s with a filter, even though it probably won't hold a super stable cycle in that small of a tank. Also, it looks white and cottony... (That's how I'd describe mine).

Cleaning the bottom of your tank will be easier without substrate but you do need to vacuum it (the turkey bastor will work) if you don't do 100%s. Honestly, a filter isn't necessary if you are going to do the 100%s anyways because the only thing a filter does for a betta is cycles the tank (and also creates stressful water movement, which is often a downside). 100% changes mess up the cycle. Bettas get air from the surface so it doesn't need to be oxygenated, either.

If it were external parasites, I would suggest daily 100%s to remove fallen parasites, but since it is just fin damage, I would do daily 50%s to keep the water clean and prevent stress (removing them is stressful). As long as you remember to always pre-dissolve the salt and not to use it for longer than 14 days. :)

If the salt doesn't help or his condition changes/worsens, I'd create a brand new thread. New threads always get more attention.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #10 
Mermaid