Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #51 
rmarkham

[quote=MSG;1355398]That's why I remove ANYTHING that might scratch up their eyes.

When my bettas are hunting for food, they are 100% focused on the prey. Mine will launch themselves towards rocks if they think a meal is waiting for them.

The only decoration in your tank that could have damaged his eye was probably the lava rock.

Also when a fish is skittish or easily startled, they can bash themselves up against sharp objects. Hence the occasional missing scale for some fish.

When you factor in the amount of time & medication it takes to treat a injured fish...... euthanizing is easier.

Those medications you're using are above my skill level. No experience with them[/QUOTE
You're probably right about the lava rock. I completely re-scaped his tank and the lava rock has been moved to my 29G.
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #52 
callistra

You can double dose, but I wouldn't. It can be hard on the kidneys. I would just add the one level scoop dose (make sure you level it or you will end up with about a double dose). You probably won't need a double dose. You can very safely treat up to two weeks by dosing every 48 hours, or if you're doing daily water changes you'll have to add back in daily what you take out, and then redose a full every 48.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #53 
Sakura8

You can combine the PraziPro and the Kanaplex for an effective antiparasite/antibacterial med. If you did want to do a double-dose bath of Kanaplex, I would only do one a day for a week and see if there is an improvement. I have not tried Kanaplex in this manner so we would be in uncharted territory. Otherwise, I would use the Kanaplex as a constant soak.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #54 
callistra

Kanaplex loses its effectiveness after 48 hours, no matter how much you put in there so dosing once a week wouldn't be the best idea.. sorry.. he'd be getting a hard hit then going most of the rest of the week with no meds, which is generally a good way to build resistant bacteria. Sorry.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #55 
rmarkham

I like the idea of a constant soak but what would that do to my plants and bacteria in the tank? Could I keep him in a kk floating in my 29 for warmth? I'll have to keep making a new dilution for him daily so I don't overdose or have it lose effectiveness. Or I could take out all my plants and filter media and stick it in my 29 during treatment...
Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #56 
Sakura8

One bath once a day for a week. That would be seven baths/seven doses.

EDIT: It would be best to treat him in the KK as any med can harm the biological bacteria and most plants are not med tolerant. How big is the KK?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #57 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
One bath once a day for a week. That would be seven baths/seven doses.

EDIT: It would be best to treat him in the KK as any med can harm the biological bacteria and most plants are not med tolerant. How big is the KK?
It's a medium but i also have an ex lg as well. I was thinking of doing 4-6 liters of water and I'll make the bf do the chemistry to make the proper dilution. I could keep him in there daily and do water changes every day or so. I hope i have enough!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #58 
Sakura8

Sounds good. Good luck! :)
Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #59 
MSG

The medium kritter k is the perfect size..... just fill 50% with water & float on top of your 29G. Your betta may enjoy the view of the other fish in the tank while his eye is being treated with medication. The X-LG KK would be too big.

As for the dangerous ornaments.....
I have wine box full of decorations that I thought were too sharp for the bettas. All the lava rocks are being kept in a different box until I get my ornamental shrimp ONLY tank setup.

If you use the medium KK you should have enough medication.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #60 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
The medium kritter k is the perfect size..... just fill 50% with water & float on top of your 29G. Your betta may enjoy the view of the other fish in the tank while his eye is being treated with medication. The X-LG KK would be too big.

As for the dangerous ornaments.....
I have wine box full of decorations that I thought were too sharp for the bettas. All the lava rocks are being kept in a different box until I get my ornamental shrimp ONLY tank setup.

If you use the medium KK you should have enough medication.

Great! Thanks. The ex-LG is going to be an upgrade for one of my growing geckos very soon so this works out wonderfully. I should get the meds delivered today. Should I cut back on feedings while I'm treating him in the KK?
My plan is to do water changes every day to avoid any ammonia buildup. I normally feed every other day but should I change that to every 2 days while he's in treatment?

Tags
cloudy eye, eye, swollen eye