Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #1 
Roemgie

HELP! My betta has suddenly become slow and is now bloated??

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 G
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

I do a water change every 4 days

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? LifeSpectrum
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day usually 3-4 pellets I do make sure that they are not bloated before I feed them and sometimes I'll just feed them once

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? from walmart: Get Started

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's become very slow and his belly just recently extended, he has seems stiff and will stay at the surface of the water
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He always flares at me but now he just watches me
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday night when I got back into my room around midnight
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No I changed a little bit of the water but I don't know what else to do
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No he doesn't (that i know of)
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know I got him from a girl who had him in a tiny bowl for about a year (hardly cleaned it!!) and i've had him for the past couple of weeks and he's been getting healthier!

So my newest boy, Debata, is not being himself at ALL. I had to go home This past Sunday and I made sure to change his water and my friend's betta (Umi) water before I left. I fed them both their usual amount and left for home. I was suppose to come back Monday but I ended up coming back Tuesday at midnight. When I first went to check on them I was thinking to myself, 'I must have just woken him up so he's just a little droggy from that' well this morning he still wasn't acting right.
And after a SUPER long day of trying to catch up with everything I've noticed that his tummy has really extended. My fear is maybe he was eating his own poop?? I am going to do a water change tomorrow (like I always do every 4 days) because I'm worried that if I do one now it'll really stress him out. I took about three cup fulls out last night and put in that many of new water just in case it was something going on with that. He's in a 2.5 gallon heated tank and I always have the temperature at about 78 degrees (the top of his tank stays warm but the bottom is about 78 or less).
He has never acted like this and i'm not at all sure what to do. I noticed his leaf hammock was showing some signs of rust but very tiny amounts so I took it out and replaced it with a different one. I'm very good about bleaching all of my fish stuff before giving it to a new one but I'm wondering if some how something was living on the leaf hammock I but in there?? I risned it off before putting it in so I have no idea what to do!

Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #2 
callistra

Rust can be really bad news inside a small tank with no carbon filter.. I would start doing larger water changes and work him up to another 100% one asap. Rinse everything off well too. I would not add another hammock.. they are known to rust. It's a common problem.

I would fast him and put him in some pure epsom salts (check ingredients list that there are no other additives). 1/4- 1 tsp per gallon, predissolved before adding, and watch his poop. See that he is popping and also check the color and other qualities. I don't see any pine coning so he could just be constipated, or at least whatever infection does not appear to have reached organ level. If you start to see pine coning or his poop is abnormal he'll need actual meds.. something like Kanaplex by Seachem.

Last edited by callistra; 12-05-2012 at 11:47 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #3 
Roemgie

I do 100% water changes every 4 days

I was worried that he could be showing signs of Drospy but he isn't (I actually saw my first case in person at petco a few weeks ago, I wish there was something I could do). But when dropsy occurs it's too late because that means his organs have already started failing. But for the fact that I wasn't here for two days he shouldn't be showing any signs of bloating but he was perking up not to long ago so I gave him two small lifespectrum pellets and he sees ok but still not moving much so that's all I'm going to give him and between classes tomorrow I'll change his water.

Here's what he looks like currently

Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #4 
callistra

I really highly suggest not feeding, doing epsoms and monitoring poo.If he's not bloated due to being constipated then he had a GI infection, but the epsoms and seeing what color his poo is at good start.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Yeah I didn't feed him for the rest of the day yesterday and he's much better today so I'm VERY happy, I'm still nervous though because Christmas break is coming and I've got about a 4 hour drive with him and I don't know how to keep it stress free