Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 77'C
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets, flakes and growth immunity food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two times a day and fasting him one day in a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? whitish edges in tail
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not at all... he is as active as he was before
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Approx. 5 months….

I know that he is having symptoms of fin rot and i dont know where to start the treatment from. I have read fin rot related post, the first treatment should be aquarium salt, yesterday i ran to every pet store and fish store to find it but no one in my area has ever heard of aquarium salt
then i searched every market to find simple rock salt or kosher salt,,,, but cant find it any where..... but i saw a salt and it was without iodine but with 0.0006% soda should i use that salt as treatment?
please anyone help me save my spikey's fins.....

(and yes, sorry about my english )
kittu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #2 
Butterfly

could it be ick? Pictures? I would suggest pm ing Sakura8. She was soooo helpful with Fred and my fred is currently being treated for parasites with aquarium salt aka AQ salt(made by mars fishcare). Can you order it on amazon? Or from a company in your country?
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #3 
Theadomm

I had the same problem finding aquarium salt my feet have blisters but I finally found a type at my local super market that was naturally evaporated sea salt with no artificial additives. I say just keep trying maybe try a health store. Some individual somewhere will want natural salt.
Theadomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #4 
kittu

thanku butterfly and theadomm for replying....

@butterfly.... the white edges are gone now..... but the fins are uneven at the edges.... here are the pics.....

@theadomm..... n yeah....! i heard of a health store nearby.... i hope they have the aquarium salt..... thanks...... finger crossed

n BTW can i use unrefined salt is it same as aquarium salt?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #5 
Theadomm

aquarium salt is sea salt click this link http://www.petco.com/product/1697/AP...rium-Salt.aspx.

"
API Aquarium Salt

Internet Price: $3.99 - $7.99 Today's Price: $2.79 - $5.59 (Save up to 30%)

Shop All Products By API
  • All natural salt, made from evaporated sea water, promotes healthy gill function, reduces stress and loss of electrolytes
  • Used to improve the efficiency of medications and reduce the harmful effects of nitrite"
I was lucky to find the same stuff evaporated 100% natural sea salt with no additives. Table salt has iodine and anti caking agents in it which make it not so great for fish. I did some research and it said aquarium salt used for medication is pure sodium chloride, so if you can find 100% natural NO ADDITIVES OR IODINE salt (aka sodium chloride) its the same thing although a couple people on this site don't seem to think so this is what my research turned up.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5535161_aq...able-salt.html
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...rium_salts.php
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #6 
Theadomm

by the way your crown tail is beautiful
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #7 
kittu

thankyou theadomm....

so finally i found sea salt.... although the bottle was broken.... but i found it.....

its natural sea salt.... written, 98% Sodium chloride with no additives..... it is in salt crystals form.....

can any of you tell me how to use it?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #8 
Theadomm

Hey there if you look around on this site there will be lots of people giving directions but the formulae I have found so far is 1 teaspoon to every gallon with 75 to 100 percent water changes per day for D days. As soon as you see new fin growth apparently a clear filling in of the fin edges you can stop treatment and change the water back to normal. The whole time keep treating your water with conditioners etc. It takes effort but I have already seen new fin growth on Nemesis and its only been 3 days. Tomorrow I switch back to normal water. Some people say if you don't see result either carry on for another 5 days or increase the dose of salt a small amount for 5 more days. Don't exceed 10 days of treatment or you risk putting your fish into organ failure. So try be conservative and treat for as short a time as possible.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #9 
Theadomm

Sorry its late at night where I am from and I am typing on a blackberry not D days but 5 days.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #10 
Ilikebutterflies

Kosher salt at my local grocery store doesn't have anything added to it. I use it in my tanks.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote