Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #1 
Perry the platypus

Going On Vacation Can't Feed Perry!

I'm going on vacation in the summer and I can't feed Perry. I was wondering if they have a feeding block for bettas just as they do for goldfish. You put the block in and it dissolves into the water and Perry will be fed. If there is that ime Perry's tank will be filtered so I'm just asking if there is a betta food block. I appreciate your help. Thanks!
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

There is a betta food block; I have tried them out before for a 3 day trip and it seems to have worked but the problem is, it dirty's the water. The white block basically disintergrates into the gravel and leaves a whole bunch of white shtuff to clean up. Bettas can go a while without food so as long as her water is clean (meaning a short trip) she should be fine. :)
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #3 
Perry the platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLakerBetta View Post
There is a betta food block; I have tried them out before for a 3 day trip and it seems to have worked but the problem is, it dirty's the water. The white block basically disintergrates into the gravel and leaves a whole bunch of white shtuff to clean up. Bettas can go a while without food so as long as her water is clean (meaning a short trip) she should be fine. :)
I'm going for one week, will she survive?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Feeding blocks, meant for any fish, are really quite terrible. Its essentially just like dumping a whole bunch of fish food in at once. Not only do they foul up the water something horrible, but often times they're hardly/never even touched, and if they are it is far too easy for a fish to over-eat, become bloated, and have some bad constipation/SBD problems. I'm pretty sure nutrition-wise they're fairly crappy as well.

For just a week, you're much better off just letting Perry be. She'll be just fine.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #5 
Perry the platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Feeding blocks, meant for any fish, are really quite terrible. Its essentially just like dumping a whole bunch of fish food in at once. Not only do they foul up the water something horrible, but often times they're hardly/never even touched, and if they are it is far too easy for a fish to over-eat, become bloated, and have some bad constipation/SBD problems. I'm pretty sure nutrition-wise they're fairly crappy as well.

For just a week, you're much better off just letting Perry be. She'll be just fine.
So she won't die?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #6 
Rockandrollgirl09

There is a Betta Block but I heard that they are not good for bettas becuase with bettas they dont know when to stop eating so they can easily over eat and thats not good for anyone.
Rockandrollgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #7 
LeoTheLakerBetta

She will defintely not die; bettas are tough fish and can go quite a while without food. When you come back she might be really happy to see you lol.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #8 
DragonFish

No, she certainly won't die. ;) Bettas can go a good 2-3 weeks(though I'd say if you're ever gone for longer then two weeks, its probably necessary to find someone to preform water changes and drop in a couple of pellets once a day or something)without food, they're tough little buggers.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

I tried the betta food block - and it was horrible experience. Fortunately, I was only gone for a few days. It didn't look like my fish ate any of it. It was lying on the bottom, surrounded in a whitish cloud of goo. My fish was huddled on her hammock with her fins clamped. I did an immediate water change.

I know that some fish eat it, but mine didn't....

I'd say that if you want to try the block, try it out while you're there FIRST. That way, you'll know if she eats it. If she doesn't, then it'll sit on the bottom and slowly poison the tank. And that's probably worse than letting her be hungry for a few days.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #10 
Perry the platypus

Thanks for your help everyone! I got my aunt to feed her.