Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #1 
twoodiwiss

Maintenance for 2.5 Mini Bow?

Howdy everybody! I am new to this website, new to forums, new to fish keeping, and new to bettas.

I bought a very nice red betta about three weeks ago. And like most people I was not prepared to take care of him. After dropping $100 on an aquarium, heater, decor, ect... I am on my way to taking care of Red. Though it is sad what I have put him through. He was in a 3/4 gallon vase with no heater and since it is cold here in Washington State he probably went through a lot of suffering. I wish I had been smart enough to learn about bettas before I bought one.

My questions: How do I maintain my 2.5 gallon aquarium? How frequent of water changes? How and when do I change my filter? Does a 2.5 gallon aquarium cycle? Should I put small amounts of salt in the water to ward off infections? Does salt affect beneficial bacteria? How much do I need to slow the filter current?

I set up the aquarium today. I let the aquarium settle for a few hours with the filter and heater running and then put Red in it. I wanted to let the aquarium settle for longer but I think Red was better off in the heated aquarium than in his small vase.

Thank You for any responses :)

P.S. I know I would be better off with an aquarium that is 5 gallons or more, but my landlord will not let me keep anything larger than 2.5 gallons.
twoodiwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

did you know probably way over half of us started out without knowing about bettas? Don't feel bad. You realized he could have better and he definitely will under your care!!

Here, we will not discriminate against you for tank size as long as you care properly for it. Unlike Y.A we actually care for the person behind the fish 2.5 is fine. Technically 2.5 "can" cycle but it can end up being very unstable.

Never ever add salt unless you are treating for something. Betta fish are strictly fresh water fish. The salt used for a permanent additive can damage the organs, and labyrinth organ as well.

I do not change my filter cartridges except after a disease. Rinse them off once every few weeks in aged water just to remove scum.

I would say clean 1-2 times a week. Bettas are actually fairly clean compared to most other fish.

The current should not shove the betta around. You may need to adjust it pretty low, just so there is some surface movement but not alot. Mainly because it is a smaller tank.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #3 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Be safe and do 2 water changes per week. I used to do only 1 in my 2.5 but my betta got fin rot and when I switched up to twice a week it got better in a week. Preventing disease is best done by clean water :)

If you are worried about the filter current the easiest thing to do is a get a piece of plastic buttle, cut it in half or smaller and tape it to the output. It should baffle it fine.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 
sunlight

Hey i agree on Sena and Leo recommendations. But i also think small tanks more difficult to keep stable cycling. So my recommendations just do 1-50 and 1-100% water changes. Then you don't need filter though and it safe and less headache with cycling.
But if you still want to cycle you will need to vacuum the gravel regularly along with water changes which i agree 2 times a week is better.

sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #5 
twoodiwiss

Thanks for all the info. The reason why I asked about salt was because of this video:

http://video.about.com/freshaquarium...Betta-Fish.htm

So the video is wrong about salt?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #6 
Shadyr

I have two 2.5 bows and a 3 - I just took the filters out completely. I think the bettas are happier without the current. I do one 50% water change per week, but I also have live plants in them all to help with the water quality. Without them, it would be 2 per week. I like the look of live plants, and they do help make a nicer environment, but they can also be a hassle.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #7 
nel3

i have a2.5 bow also but i dont use the filter but you can still baffle with aquaruium sponge it so it doesnt bother the betta much. im using Ial water and have little luck matching PH for 50%wc so i just do a 100wc every 4-5 days. id gladly do 50wc if the desired tank ph was the same as normal tap water.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

See if these two sticky will help you understand a bit more-along with the great advice you have already received....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #9 
twoodiwiss

Does anyone have response to the video?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Regarding the use of aquarium salt long term-IMO/E-its not recommended or needed. Long term use can cause kidney damage and risk resistant issues due to long term use especially with non-therapeutic dosages.

Both aquarium salt and Epsom salt are great to use for treatment when used for the right reason, dosage and duration.

Epsom salt is safe to use long term and with plant.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5 gallon tank, maintenance, new beginner, new betta and setup, salt water