Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #1 
twoodiwiss

Keeping males together?

I am curious about the tanks you see with dividers. How do bettas do with a male on the other side of a tank divider? Does this stress the bettas?
twoodiwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #2 
Gracie8890

It really depends on the fish and the divider. The clear dividers tend to stress them out greatly, i found that out fast! But the ones that are homemade with plastic mesh seem to work the best. People say that with the homemade ones the fish will flare a bit but then get over it and leave it alone.
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #3 
aemaki09

I have one 10 gallon divided into 4 sections. The males do just fine with it. They do get a little rage the first couple days because they dont like seeing a male so near by but once they realize neither can get to the other side they let their guard down and relax. Out of my 7 males, theres only 1 that cant really handlea male next to him at all. I put him in a breeders net in my sorority tank for now though (till his new tank is cycled) and he does fine in there??

I have 2 different kinds of dividers though, the ones at petsmart -- i think top fin? they are see through, but its pretty well obstructed, and then I have a completely clear one. Neither poses an issue for me.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #4 
carbonxxkidd

My bettas seem to be able to see movement through the divider, but can't see enough to flare and stress them out. I doubled up on the plastic mesh when I made mine so it is harder to see through.

I never even thought of dividing a tank before I set mine up, but I love it (and so do they) and it's so much fun having two bettas!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #5 
DragonFish

The one store-bought divider I got a few years ago I found was very flimsy and clear so my fish could see each other very easily. I attempted to put plants in front of it on both sides, but the fish just swam around them. Really, I wouldn't recommend dropping the cash on a store-bought divider. Homemade ones are cheaper, sturdier, and much MUCH less see-through.

I make all of my dividers using this method: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
...but with a bit of my own twist. I've discovered that if you use two sheets of the craft mesh and double-up on it, then trim a row or two until the divider fits snugly on the sides without bending its more stable, even less see-through, and a little more aesthetically pleasing as well.

With the doubled-up craft mesh, i have noticed VERY little flaring, just a bit upon introduction with a few of my more feisty fish, and my mellower/shyer ones didn't even bother at all.....so I assume they really can't fully see one another, only a shadow.
I've had fantastic success with no stress and only one mishap(my PK jumped over, but that was easily fixed by an extra piece of mesh stuck between the two pieces in the divider to make it higher in that small area) with this divider method.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #6 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
I make all of my dividers using this method: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
...but with a bit of my own twist. I've discovered that if you use two sheets of the craft mesh and double-up on it, then trim a row or two until the divider fits snugly on the sides without bending its more stable, even less see-through, and a little more aesthetically pleasing as well.
I just have to say that I actually saw another post you made about doubling up on the mesh so that's why I did it - FANTASTIC IDEA, it's working great for me. Thank you for that :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
I just have to say that I actually saw another post you made about doubling up on the mesh so that's why I did it - FANTASTIC IDEA, it's working great for me. Thank you for that :)
Ah, you're very welcome!! Glad I was able to help! :)
I've really been trying to spread this method around, its just worked out so well for me and I'm glad that its working for others as well!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #8 
Myates

It depends upon the individual betta, and it may look to be stressing them out at first - but usually in a few days to a week they calm down quite a bit and will have daily flaring session, but for a shorter amount of time. Which is a good thing - daily flaring will help build up muscles and keep them healthier overall, along with these guys are surprisingly social and like to see another betta (most of them - there are a few who rather be solo).

So it all depends on your fish, but it's worth a shot.. you just gotta give them time to get to know one another and learn the other isn't invading into his spot.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #9 
twoodiwiss

Lots of great information!! Thanks a bunch!
twoodiwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

it depends on the individual bettas. Most seem to settle down after a few days. If the dividers are clear, you can add tall plants so they can't see the other side so much.

The main issue I have is every month or so, I remove the fish and the dividers to do a 90% water change - mainly to remove all the poop and stuff from the sand that I miss on the weekly changes. Sometimes when I put the dividers back in, there will be a gap someplace where they can squeeze through and visit their neighbor. The guy in my avatar and the guy in my siggy are the main culprits
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided tank