Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #31 
Virto

It shouldn't hurt him if you don't skip days like the bottle says. Since it seems to be getting progressively worse, continuing treatment is your only real option.

I'm not sure exactly what your little fish might have run into, but it sure sounds nasty, and it does sound like it's getting worse.

About the only good news is that he's still eating. It can take several days before you may see any change from antibiotic use at all, so keep at it, and hopefully it's enough to head off whatever it is he's come down with. Keep the temp up around 80 and remember of course to add your antibiotic right after your water changes, so he has the longest possible period of exposure.

EDIT:
It's hard to make out much detail in the video, but the popeye is pretty obvious. Unfortunately, popeye can have many different causes. I'm not sure if we're dealing with a bacteria, a fungus or a genetic disease at this point.

Last edited by Virto; 12-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #32 
TheCheese909

It's hard to tell.. From what you wrote it sounds like he's getting worse. Some Bettas respond greatly to medications while others go the opposite way. Looking at your video he looks like he's swimming fine, at least for a fish in his condition. It's got to be hard to swim properly with the growths around the back of his body like that, but he's not just sitting still, he's not darting everywhere wildly and he's swimming around without too terribly much trouble. He's also eating and pooping, so those are pluses.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #33 
SuperNoob

So this afternoon he looks like he is feeling better. The behavior changes may be suddle but i can see them. Im going to give him the meds every day with ever water change. The directions on the bottle say skip days but it also doesnt say anything about water changes. He is still eating and he pooped today. He pooped the day before yesterday too and that is the most poops Ive seen him do in that amount of time. Before I saw maybe 1 large poo once a week so I think the brine shrimp was a good diet change.

On a side note, i went to my pet store today to look at live plants and snails for my original tank. It has quite a bit of algae. I'm amazed at how little the people there know about fish keeping. The girl working tonight told me that snails grow out of their shells and have to move into new ones. She also said I should get 2 for a 2.5 gal tank. I was worried about 1 and Im leaning more towards live plants. She said plants were annoying to her. So what do the real experts think. 1 plant? 2 plants? 1 mystery snail? I like the idea of another creature but I dont really want another mouth to feed. I might make it sick too!

Last edited by SuperNoob; 12-11-2012 at 08:39 PM.
SuperNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #34 
Virto

I'm big on live plants. Sounds like you ran into someone at the pet store that isn't, and also isn't very knowledgeable about much in the way of aquatic pets.

Anyway, I'd suggest an Amazon Sword or two, especially if you have a fluorescent light for your tank. I picked one up on clearance from PetSmart because all the tube plants were in sad shape and ready to be tossed. By the time I was done cutting it back, it only had three leaves, but it's been in the tank now for about 3 weeks and I'm counting 10 individual leaves.

There are plenty of good plant posts here, but you can also look at the plantedtank.com forums for more info.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #35 
TheCheese909

SuperNoob, for planted tank questions your best chance at getting good answers is to make a post in the section for planted tanks. I know snails have a huge bioload so getting more than one could be a problem. Marimo, amazon sword and anubias are great hardy plants that can stay alive with almost any lighting (from my experience). The fluorescent light bulbs will really help them grow like crazy. I had an anubias (three leaves when i got it) for about 4 months in a tank without a fluorescent bulb and it grew two leaves during that time. I placed it into a tank with the fluorescent bulb and it's now 12+ leaves within 2 months. My amazon sword i've had 2 months, it started with 4 leaves as well and now has 15.

Anyway, a new thread in the plant section should get you all the answers you'll need since all the plant savvy people hang out there lol.

I'm glad your guy isn't backed up, live or frozen foods in general can really do wonders compared to flakes and pellets. It's like cereal vs fresh fruits and veggies. I hope he pulls though and recovers, it would be great to see him all healthy again.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #36 
SuperNoob

That thread seems complicated too. Do you guys have soil tanks? I managed to kill all the algae in my tank by leaving the light off for a week. My little guy is still in his hospital tank. He looks about the same but I think his patches may be a little smoother and his eyes slightly clearer. This is going to be a long road to recovery. He has been acting fine though, eating, pooping, swimming, learning that brine shrimp fall to the bottom of the tank (eek, have to feed him less). Do you think i should ever switch antibiotics after using one for a long period of time? Like 2 weeks?

Last edited by SuperNoob; 12-15-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #37 
SuperNoob

Ok so the medicine doesnt look like its helping anymore so im switching to Erythromycin. I figured out how much to use for a gallon by using syringes. I poured the whole pack into 1 syringe that was 3 ml. The pack was exactly 2 ml. So then I just divided it by 10. So i need .2 ml. i have a 1ml syringe that goes from .1 to 1.0 so i just filled it up to .2ml.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #38 
acadialover

That is one tough little fishie you have there ! I've never heard of a fish receiving so much medication and still alive....
What do the experts think ? so many different meds. Why are you switching again ?
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #39 
TheCheese909

acadialover, this is a rather old thread. I had forgotten how terrible this guy looked, I'm going to assume he didn't make it. Though I could be wrong, but.. eesh, he looked bad.