Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #1 
Fishfresher88523

strange symptom...help!!

My betta is eating fine ,swimming well, flares too but ive noticed one side is more bright in colour(blue) while the other is darker(blackish).Also the brighter side has a bit of a covexity.There is another strange behaviour of his i have this pen i was holding it in my hand and i went near his tank he seemed to get very agressive seeing it and started flaring ,after that I went out of the house for 2 - 3 hours when I came back its color had faded (mentioned below).2 days ago I again showed him the pen it again got aggressive but this time didn't flare just moved violently as if trying to attack it but didnt loose color.please help.

PS:its a red vt with a blue wash.I got the fish just a month ago .It had gone white 2 weeks ago n had white spots on its head(i believe it was ick) i did complete water change everyday adding a dechlorinator and rock salt. I upload pics of my fish the pen and whatever u guys ask but by tomorrow
Fishfresher88523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

hmmm they are some strange symptoms...... some photo's would be great and give me a better idea of what is going on. As to his behavior towards the pen I would not be concerned, bettas sometimes interact/attack all sorts of weird objects because they don't know what it is and feel that it may be a threat. Your betta probably lost his colour the first time he saw the pen because he was probably stressed. The fact that he did not lose colour or flare the second time suggests that although still wary of the pen it did not attack him the first time so it doesn't seem quite as frightening/threatening to him as before though obviously he is still interested enough in it to respond to it. Anyways, keep me updated on his condition and I'll check the pics out when you post them, goodluck!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #3 
TheCheese909

Your fish sounds fine. Colors can be different on either sides of the body. We have a fish who is blue on one side while the other side has a more green tint.

They can react differently do objects outside the tank. One of my boys Punkin doesn't like when I paint my nails from one color to another. He's okay with purple nails but if i do green or something he gets angry and flares at them.

He doesn't sound sick at all, he sounds like a normal Betta.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #4 
Fishfresher88523

thanks everyone i feel relieved... Il post the pics in some time cus my cam broke and my phones cam isnt that gud
Fishfresher88523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #5 
Fishehgobloop

So, I had a betta almost two years ago who was the happiest, most docile fish ever. Until I held a beight blue highlighter (the felt uncapped end of the marker) up to his tank. He went absolutely nutso. Flared his gills, fanned his fins, the whole shebang. After he decided it wasnt going to hurt him in any way, he decided it was fun to chase it around the tank. I currently have a betta who is the angriest fish I have ever met. He will war dance at me, full flare, fanned fins, just for looking at him. And as for the coloring, I have quite a few colorful bettas (just your plain old run of the mill red and blue bettas -usually- don't cut it for me) and most of them have an asymetrical coloring, or basically their colors differ on different areas of their body. Also, lighting and angle will have a lot to do with it also. If you're concerned about the coloring of your fish at any time, we'd recommend a light source that will eliminate shadows and let you see the fish from different angles.
Your fish sounds like a spunky healthy fish to me.
Fishehgobloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #6 
LetsGetKraken

Just curious... is the pen a similar color to the fish? I have a red VT, and he hates everything red. His red silk plant, the red part of the thermometer, and the pink cup/cave all get attacked.
LetsGetKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #7 
Fishehgobloop

Lol, no, I had a bright blue highlighter, but my fish was a beautiful indigo color marbled with white. I've never seen another fish like him. I don't think the coloring of the fish really has anything to do with what he does or doesnt like. Your fish could just not like the color red. :P I've always believed that was more based on personality than anything.
Fishehgobloop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sena hansler