Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #1 
porcupi

Unhappy PLEASE HELP Just got a heater and my betta has clamped up.

I have two bettas, one male (Vlad) one female (Zapdos). They are in separate tanks.
Hers is 2 gallons, his is 5. They get a mix of betta pellets and brine shrimp. Two days ago I got heaters for them and I have turned the heat up to 78 for both of them.
I realise now two days is WAY to quick to change from what was probably pretty cold to warm. And I totally regret it but don't know what I can do now.
Anyway I noticed yesterday that Vlad was getting fin clamp. Today they both have really serious clamp and she is just lying on the bottom, sometimes coming up for some air.
The water looked a little cloudy. I did 50% water changes and put extra stress coat in. I don't know what to do.
I've had them for a while now and they were both really lively and healthy before I got the heaters. I really really don't want anything to happen to them, especially Zapdos, who is the cutest, fiercest female I've ever seen.
Please please help.
porcupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

If they are adjustable heaters, depending on the brand they increase slowly - or may not.

Did you test the heaters out first?

Is there: any smell, sound, etc associated with adding those heaters? What brand are they? How cloudy is it? Does it stay cloudy?

I am wondering, if you should remove the heaters, do a water change, and re-acclimate them (remove them for this water change).
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 
porcupi

The water smells different, more like an aquarium. It's not extremely cloudy, but certainly not clear. I am worried that if it is just stress (they are not eating either) then more water and temperature changing will make them worse.
The heaters are interpet delta therm. They are 100watt. I got big ones because I was thinking of trying to breed some and would like one day to get them bigger tanks (especially the female).
The water doesn't feel especially hot. What do you think? Is it worth risking changing everything up again? A bigger water change and heaters out? It is very cold now in my bedroom (I got the heaters just in time) and it would be a dramatic change for them.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Do you have a thermometer in there? Heaters are not always accurate on their own :) Do you add tap water conditioner?

In that case, since the heaters do not seem to be leaching anything (it happens), what I would do is remove the fish, unplug the heaters, do a large water change, plug back in the heaters, and acclimate the fish to about 76 to start.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #5 
porcupi

Is a net the best way to remove them? Is there a less stressful way?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #6 
porcupi

I add a tap water conditioner and called nutrafin cycle, btw. If I have already done a 50% change should I do another 50? Ending in about a 75?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I cup them, personally. It's gentler and they never have to leave water. Just make sure to cover the tops to avoid jumpers! Float the cups after the water change. Yes, 50% works just fine :)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #8 
porcupi

I've done a water change and lowered the heat... Ack! I really hope they last the night! Poor babies.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

just remember that it was not your fault okay?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #10 
sunlight

i am going to bump the thread, just want to make sure yours babies survive i hope. Keep us updated:(
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clamp, cloudy water, heater, sick