Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #11 
Silverfang

Apple snails are often called mystery snails. There is also a sub species of apple snail that is a peruvian, they grow quite large, the size of a tennis ball.

If you'd like to learn more about telling the differences between the different species of snails, applesnail.net has lots of information. It has diagrams on how to sex apples, and differentiate the different species.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #12 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Apple snails are often called mystery snails. There is also a sub species of apple snail that is a peruvian, they grow quite large, the size of a tennis ball.

If you'd like to learn more about telling the differences between the different species of snails, applesnail.net has lots of information. It has diagrams on how to sex apples, and differentiate the different species.
=D Thanks, that's a big help!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #13 
shellieca
Reference Team

I know here in the states the big chain pet stores typically sale a certain type of mystery/apple snails, not sure what its called. I've had one in my 46g tank for around 6-7 months, he's around the size of a golf ball. I typically add liquid calcium to my tanks once or twice a week plus feed algae wafers & veggies once or twice a week. I can see that he's munched on my plants some but not badly. I keep adding plants because I want my tank heavily planted. I have 5 tanks total & each tank has a mystery snail, 2 blue, 1 ivory, 1 golden, 1 black (the big boy & actually striped). They fascinate me, I can sit & watch them travel around for long periods of time.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #14 
Phaydra

I keep golden apple snails in planted tanks. I've never had them eat my healthy plants but they do clean up the dead or dying plant matter. They save me a ton of work cleaning. Once I get Dalish's tank fully cycled he will get his first snail too. I am getting him a blue apple snail though.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #15 
Syriiven

I may still consider apple snails if I can find two nickle sized ones that look healthy. It'll depend on when I get there.

Thanks for all your responses!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #16 
sandybottom
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
I keep golden apple snails in planted tanks. I've never had them eat my healthy plants but they do clean up the dead or dying plant matter. They save me a ton of work cleaning. Once I get Dalish's tank fully cycled he will get his first snail too. I am getting him a blue apple snail though.
i saw some of the blue ones on ebay. i think they were from a guy in poland.the purple snails are cool too. i decided to try the nerites, because of the eggs. they don't lay any unless there are two of them. do you regularly have to clean up a lot of eggs with apple and mystery snails?or is this an infrequent occurance?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #17 
shellieca
Reference Team

Apple snails must have a male & female to lay eggs. The nerite may lay eggs but they don't hatch in freshwater. Be careful when purchasing because they can be salt or fresh water, you don't want to purchase marine ones for a freshwater tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #18 
Syriiven

It'll have to wait till the end of the month now ^^; But I'll be going to this bigger import store - and yes, I'll be careful to get freshwater snails =) I think the nerites will be the way to go, as they're smaller and don't have the longer antennae bettas go after. And Kalec (new CT) is...well, agressive/energetic and I can see him definitely harassing an apple snail.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #19 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
i saw some of the blue ones on ebay. i think they were from a guy in poland.the purple snails are cool too. i decided to try the nerites, because of the eggs. they don't lay any unless there are two of them. do you regularly have to clean up a lot of eggs with apple and mystery snails?or is this an infrequent occurance?
I've never had my apple snails lay eggs but I keep 1 to a tank. Nerites are great but like stated in another post make sure they ones you are getting are acclimated to fresh water. Nerites can live in both salt and fresh but can only successfully reproduce in brackish water. I keep those in my 40g too

Last edited by Phaydra; 12-10-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #20 
sandybottom
Reference Team

my lfs carries both. i have a fw zebra. i've been feeding him romaine. mostly because my betta can't seem to leave his algae wafers alone. he gorges himself on them. so looking at him(betta) last night i saw what i thought was ich. but looking closer, my tank has infusoria. i've read that this can come from... the java fern,lettuce or even snail poo. gonna vac out the tank. not feed the betta a couple of days,and see if he will eat them. anyone have a betta that eats planaria? do i need to worry about my zebra? sorry to hijack.

Last edited by sandybottom; 12-11-2012 at 10:08 AM.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote