Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Bloated Female

My girl Eponine has seemed slightly bloated since the day I got her (a couple months ago). She is pooping, and I have tried fasting her. She acts fine. She eats, is aggressive, is constantly swimming around her tank. I just moved her last night from a 2.5 g to a 10 g because I wanted her to have a bigger environment. And, I think it is easier to clean a 10 g versus a 2.5 g. She is still acting like her old self. Any suggestions? The bloating is the same, it hasn't gotten bigger or smaller over the months.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #2 
DragonFish

Could you provide a picture?

I recall that when I had girls, in comparison to my boys, their bellies were always slightly more round....so that could just be it, but a picture would be helpful. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Could you recommend a picture site? I asked once in the past but no one gave me suggestions. I do not have a membership to any picture sites, so I can not post pictures.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #4 
DragonFish

You can upload pictures to Tinypic.com without a membership.

Or you should be able to attach your picture to your post...when replying, click 'Go Advanced' then click on the little paperclip on the little toolbar up above where you write your post. There you should be able to upload and attach your picture directly. :)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Being a female, she is probably just eggy. You say it has not gotten worse, she is acting fine and eats and poops... So I am pretty sure it is just her eggs :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #6 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Being a female, she is probably just eggy. You say it has not gotten worse, she is acting fine and eats and poops... So I am pretty sure it is just her eggs :)
Is it common for them to be eggy for so long? I assumed that was just something that happened every once in a while and then passed after a couple/few weeks?
I haven't had females in forever though, and I can't recall any of them ever being particularly large or eggy normally...
Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Some of mine always had that eggy look. Others with a slight belly and occasionally looked like they were going to explode, and others barely had bellies on them unless I were breeding them.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #8 
NeptunesMom

Here is a picture, its not great, but it shows you the bloat.

It's king of a funky angle, but if you see the little bump under her. That is what I am talking about.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #9 
DragonFish

That looks fairly normal to me. And like Sena said, if shes acting normally, it hasn't gotten worse, and she eats and poops just fine its probably nothing to worry about. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Some of mine always had that eggy look. Others with a slight belly and occasionally looked like they were going to explode, and others barely had bellies on them unless I were breeding them.
Very interesting...it must just depend on the female. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

Ok thanks. I thought she was okay, but still I figured I should check. I did a search on here and found a girl (who was far more bloated than mine), that someone said might have a parasite. So I got a little worried.