Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #1 
Spooky25

Baby Betta: Male or Female?

I just received a baby betta from a friend that is moving across the country and couldn't take her fish. It is about an inch long and I was wondering if anyone can tell me its approximate age and gender. It also has a very distinct tail and I am curious about what type it will have when it gets older.
I appreciate any help you can give me!

Spooky25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #2 
Leopardfire

I can't see the picture. Could you try posting it again?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #3 
Spooky25

Sorry about the problem picture. If you go to my public profile I put a picture of my baby in an album. Hope this helps!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Awww, what a cute little thing!

Its definitely a little Doubletail, and LOOKS to be a female going by is ventrals....but it could possibly surprise you, you never know.
Its impossible to tell the age for sure, but I would estimate this little guy at about roughly three-four months or so. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Awww, what a cute little thing!

Its definitely a little Doubletail, and LOOKS to be a female going by is ventrals....but it could possibly surprise you, you never know.
Its impossible to tell the age for sure, but I would estimate this little guy at about roughly three-four months or so. :)
What about the ventrals make it look female?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Well, the general shape and size of them look female to me, as well as its general body shape a bit. But it is still young looking, it could very well be a male. Those poor babies tend to be a little stunted anyway from being trapped in those little cups, it'd probably take a good couple of months more to be completely sure of its gender.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Well, the general shape and size of them look female to me, as well as its general body shape a bit. But it is still young looking, it could very well be a male. Those poor babies tend to be a little stunted anyway from being trapped in those little cups, it'd probably take a good couple of months more to be completely sure of its gender.
Oh yeah, for sure. I was just wondering what the difference was because I don't know any better :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Ahhhh. xD Well, a females ventrals tend to be thinner, smaller, and shorter then a males....so that along with general body shape is often a bit more of a reliable way to tell gender, rather then looking for an eggspot(which many young and even some adult males can show)or going by fin length alone(PKs and such). But its one of those things you eventually develop an eye for after you see so many fish I think.

Some males can definitely have a more of a feminine build when younger though and take a little longer to fully develop....I can't tell you how many surprise male in sorority stories I've heard! xD
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #9 
Spooky25

Thank you so much for the information! I will keep you posted on the gender (in case I get a surprise!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #10 
babystarz

And to make things more confusing, I'm pretty sure hermaphroditic bettas are more common than some people might think :P
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
age, baby, gender