Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #1 
bonnie7188

betta wont eat

Hi. I have 2 female betta fish. I have had them since last Christmas. They were both in the same tank before they started beating each other up. They were moved into separate tanks 6 months ago. They adjusted well to the change and I have had no problems with them over it. My red one is in a 3 gallon tank with a filter the blue one is in a smaller tank with no filter. ... they were both active and healthy. I went away over Thanksgiving weekend my mom was coming twice a day to feed them for me. She said they ate and were fine until this last Saturday she said they were laying at the bottom and wouldn't eat . When I got home on Sunday. My red fish had a white film over its eye. The blue. One looked fine but neither would eat. Over the weekend it got really cold outside and my heater in my house wasn't on when I got home it was 53 degrees in here. I figured maybe they got too cold. I called all the pet stores in the area. They all told me I have had them for a year they are probably old. I said no that's not it but they were no help. Over the past few days... the white film is going away on my red fish. I put water conditioner in his water. And he is now starting to eat and swim around more. But the blue fish has not eaten since Saturday. He swims around very slowly when he is not sitting at the bottom he will open his mouth really wide and just look at me. He has never done that before. I don't know what that means I changed his water like I have been for the past year with no luck. He's not filmy or having any noticeable signs of anything besides doing that thing with his mouth. Does anyone know what I can do.? Please help.
bonnie7188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

did you clean the water before you left for the weekend? Ammonia can play a nasty part.

Temperature will play a drastic part as well.

As for the open mouth, is there anything lodged in the mouth or throat? Does the fish yawn heavily, or look like she is trying to spit something up?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 
bonnie7188

It doesn't look like anything is in there. But I watched him just now then stared at the red one my blue one is constantly moving its mouth like you would if u were talking the other isnt..then occasionally opening real wide he did attempt to eat a piece of food a few days ago but spit it back out.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

So do they have heaters in their tanks? What temperature are they at, now?

53 degrees sounds like a drastic change. She could still be in shock. Getting them clean, warm water is always the first step you should make in trying to treat any symptoms, and hopefully they will gradually improve with just that.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Try to get the temperature to at least 78, if you can.

What all do you feed them? And how often are the tanks cleaned?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #6 
bonnie7188

Thank you all for your suggestions. I changed her water every two days attempted to feed her also... it took 12 days and she ate a piece which she had difficulty doing. A day and a half later she ate 7 pieces right down. She's still alive so I hope she starts eating regularly again. That long period of time had me worried